Expats living in Singapore have to cope with friends leaving on a regular basis. It’s not easy, but it’s the way of this transitional life we are part of. We think it’s even more difficult for kids to manage the change, and as a parent you may need to have a ‘back-up bucket’ of farewell presents for school mates who are moving on. Here are a few ideas for leaving gifts for adults and children with a Singapore-theme.
- Poster Hub, “Singapore Vintage Travel” – a retro artwork for the walls can make a great gift, and this one is a reminder of the greener side of Singapore
- To Be Calm, Mini Soy Candle (Single) – To Be Calm candles are always excellent gift ideas, and this Singapore shophouse packaging just seals the deal
- Singapore Map Coasters – handmade set of four wooden coasters by O3 Design Studio, featuring a map of Singapore
- Crazy Rich Asians Trilogy Box Set – Kevin Kwan’s riotous books peer into Singapore high society
- To Be Calm, Mini Soy Candle (Set) – beautifully presented candles by To Be Calm, featuring a Singapore river scene
- Singapore-inspired Tie – in 100 percent woven silk
- Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819-2000 – the perfect coffee-table book, featuring over 1,000 rare and fascinating photos showcasing Singapore’s history
- Straits Preserves Singapore Sling Marmalade (220g jar) – who said a Singapore Sling had to come in drink form? Spread it on your toast instead!
- Singapore Cooking: Fabulous Recipes from Asia’s Food Capital – learn how to make everything from Singapore chilli crab to nasi goreng
- Asian Home Gourmet Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice Paste, 50g – cook every expat’s favourite hawker dish with the help of this easy ingredient
- Secrets of Singapore: Botanic Gardens – this great read for kids was nominated for the 2019 Singapore Book Awards in the Best Non-Fiction category
- Simply Life – Hypoallergenic Bamboo Creeper – short-sleeved onesie with front snap buttons and Singapore motifs, for ages 9 to 12 months
- Cuticate DIY Dollhouse Miniature Kit with Furniture – a Singapore shophouse makes the perfect craft project
- Colouring the Lion City: A Sophisticated Activity Book – okay, so this one is described as “A Sophisticated Activity Book for Adults”, but who said the kids can’t have a go at staying between the lines too?
We’ve also got some great books available for purchase on our site, including one on colonial homes that makes a great memento of Singapore!
For more helpful tips, head to our Living in Singapore section.