Just a reminder that there are fabulous weekend getaways from Singapore to plan for, if you don’t want to go too far! You can choose a shopping short break or do some sightseeing. Or maybe just lie on the beach or beside the resort pool. (Tie in a public holiday to make it a long weekend!) We live in an amazing hub for short trips to nearby destinations, and there are some gorgeous places to visit near Singapore that are only a ferry or quick flight away – think fab resorts with beaches, great food and amazing views to enjoy. Here are some popular destinations for expats, including villas, hotels and resorts near Singapore that you can book right now!
# Indonesian getaways
There are an estimated 17,508 islands in Indonesia, of which only about 6,000 are inhabited. The main islands are Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Irian Jaya and, last but not least, Java. The latter is home to 70 percent of the country’s population.
For a relaxing short break, Indonesia has plenty of places to visit near Singapore. Resorts with beaches less than an hour away by ferry include on the islands of Bintan and Batam, and some smaller nearby islands such as Telunas.
Elsewhere in Indo, head to Bali for beaches, terraced rice paddies, temples, ruins and jungle walks. Luxury villas can be very reasonable if you’re sharing with a group of friends or family. After one visit, you’ll soon see why Balinese food and hospitality are a favourite for Singapore-based expats.
Lombok is described by many as “the Bali of 20 years ago”, and the nearby Gili Islands are an idyllic hideaway. Manado, meanwhile, is perfect for scuba diving and snorkelling enthusiasts, with stunning scenery and volcanoes.
Escape to a private island – Telunas Resorts
No airports are needed for a stay at Telunas Private Island, as it’s just a leisurely boat ride from Batam (itself only an hour by ferry from Singapore) – sip on a cold drink or two and you’ll be there in no time! The resort’s overwater rustic villas feature a sitting room, bedroom, cosy loft and private veranda.
Food-wise, there’s delicious Western, Asian and Indonesian cuisine on offer from the resort’s executive chef at the Grand Lodge, located just down the wooden jetty. A perfect option for a romantic getaway or a short trip with kids, this patch of paradise is listed in the top 10 percent of Hotels on Tripadvisor – and it just celebrated its 26th award from Tripadvisor, too!
Things to do on your getaway
- Make the most of the sunny days by taking part in the complimentary activities, which include mangrove kayaking, a waterfall hike and stand-up paddle boarding
- Relax by the vibrant poolside Sand Bar while enjoying unblocked sea views – it serves everything from Long Island Iced Teas to mocktails that the kids will love
- Pamper yourself with a spa session in one of the overwater pavilions or in the privacy of your villa
Bring the family to Bali – Villa JOJU
Need a bit of extra space for your rambunctious little ones? Villa JOJU is a spacious oasis that offers a family getaway where you won’t be stepping on each other’s toes! The villa is located in the heart of Canggu in Bali and designed to reflect Singapore’s historical black-and-white houses. The luxury property sleeps up to 22 in its nine-bed configuration – plus, it’s fully staffed with a private chef, housekeepers, butlers and nanny services.
While the kids’ bunk room is stocked with toys and books, they’ll likely spend more time outside thanks to the pool, the bouncy castle, pet bunnies, a fish spa, and heaps of games and activities (including making slime!) Each stay also comes with complimentary access to the nearby VIP beach club and water park. The whole family will be entertained, allowing you plenty of time to relax and feel the sea and sand between your toes.
Things to do on your getaway
- Watch a magical sunset on Berawa Beach and try some world-renowned surfing
- Hire the villa driver for a day of exploring in Uluwatu, Seminyak or Ubud
- Venture into Canggu to enjoy a spa treatment and retail therapy before relaxing at Finns Beach Club
Explore nature at its best – Tanjung Kelayang Reserve
Under an hour by plane from Singapore, Tanjung Kelayang Reserve is a natural paradise located on the north coast of Belitung Island in Indonesia. With white sand, calm ocean and protected forest, families can experience natural luxuries unlike anywhere else. Nestled within the reserve is the Sheraton Belitung Resort, which offers modern and spacious suites or private villas on the beach.
This area is also the gateway to a UNESCO Global Geosite filled with tiny islands and ancient boulders that rise from the cerulean water. You can take a traditional boat from the reserve’s sandy beach to explore these islands and coral reefs. This is a short trip that’s all about reconnecting with the natural world.
Things to do on this short break
- Explore a sea cave and historic lighthouse, take part in turtle and coral conservation, and walk through a protected forest with a biologist to plant a tree as part of a reforestation project
- Snorkel above coral reefs, paddleboard and visit a floating fish farm while island hopping
- Have dinner on a private island beach and watch the sunset while lounging on top of an ancient boulder
A short trip by ferry from Singapore – Tempat Senang
The first thing you’ll hear as you step into Tempat Senang Boutique Hotel and Spa is the sound of nature and nothing else. You’ll find yourself surrounded by a lush tropical jungle, waterfalls and water features that add a calming charm to this hillside property on Batam.
There are 12 overnight rooms at this resort near Singapore, each one with a theme reflecting a different Asian country. Moreover, you won’t find many places to visit near Singapore where you can overlook an 18-hole golf course and the South China Sea! The spa, meanwhile, is described as the ‘beating heart’ of this boutique retreat. Make sure you find time during your short trip to browse the extensive spa menu and try a rejuvenating and memorable treatment.
Things to do on this getaway
- Treat yourself to Tempat Senang’s signature dining experience, from its famous platters and ‘beer-can chicken’ to a seven-course culinary journey.
- Relax at one of the saltwater or freshwater pools and enjoy a drink or two at the cocktail bar
- Head to the spa for some pampering, where expert healing hands will get you back to feeling yourself again.
Oceanfront resorts near Singapore – The Residence Bintan
Nature meets elegance at this hidden oasis on Bintan. The property is fringed by tropical greenery on one side and the South China Sea on the other. Located on the island’s south-eastern shore, it’s just a 55-minute ferry ride from Singapore – yet it feels like a world away.
The 127 rooms have simplicity and sophistication at their heart. They include 22 one-bedroom beachfront villas, 80 one-bedroom vista and garden terraces, 15 one-bedroom Deluxe Sea View Villas and four opulent two-bedroom villas, perfect for a short trip!
Things to do at The Residence
- Dine in style at the resort’s three restaurants and bars. These include traditional Indonesian dishes and Pan-Asian cuisine at signature restaurant Rica Rica, offering an innovative twist on local cuisine.
- The Spa with treatments by ila is home to eight private treatment rooms with serene views.
- Try one of the many activities on offer at this resort near Singapore, which include a batik workshop where you’ll learn the traditional skill of dyeing fabric-making and take home your own personalised batik masterpiece!
# Thailand getaways
Colourful but busy Bangkok has amazing food, fabulous temples, numerous markets and malls, and interesting nightlife. Not far away are the stunning temples of Ayuthaya which are best seen by bicycle.
For a beach holiday less than two hours away from Singapore by air, visit Phuket, Koh Samui or Krabi. Or take a boat trip around the breathtaking Ao Phang Nga National Park. Up north, a jungle adventure involving elephants, teak forests and numerous hill tribes awaits you in the Golden Triangle’s Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.
Wellness getaways – Aleenta Retreat
Escape into Thailand’s tranquil mountains for a full body-and-mind reset. The Aleenta Retreat Chiang Mai is perfectly tucked away in the foothills on the edge of the city. While you revitalise, stay in a one- or two-bedroom pool residence designed from reclaimed wood, or a restored four- bedroom teak villa with a private pool.
The highlight of the retreat is the Ayurah Wellness Centre and its six tailor-made wellness programmes. These programmes include a focus on natural healing, eliminating burnout, healthy living with diabetes, Vipassana meditation and self-love. Plus, for yoga lovers or aspiring yogis, there’s also a full immersion programme. Aleenta’s revitalisation theme is also evident at The Garden Restaurant, which puts a nutritious spin on Northern Thai Lanna cuisine and Western fusion food.
Things to do on this short break
- Test out your skills in the kitchen at a wellness cooking class and create a bespoke nutritionist- led plan to take back home
- Join in the complimentary daily yoga, Qi Gong, meditation and mindfulness classes during your short trip
- Work with a resident master healer, doctor, nurse and nutritionist to achieve optimum wellness and balance in your life
Find paradise in Phuket – Aleenta Resort and Spa
Located on the sunset side of the Andaman Sea and pristine Natai Beach is the five-star Aleenta Phuket-Phang Nga Resort and Spa. This secluded paradise in Phang Nga province is just a 25-minute drive north of Phuket International Airport. Walking into your private suite, you’ll first notice the floor-to-ceiling windows that bring in the beautiful vista from outside. Each room also has a private pool or swim-up access, while the four-bedroom villas offer beachfront access. Exploring the grounds, you’ll find the Ayurah Spa and Wellness Centre, with tailor-made retreats where master therapists combine medical, holistic and nutritional wellness approaches to suit your individual needs. You’ll learn about boosting your immune system, new movement routines and tools to relax and refocus your mind – a superb souvenir to take back to Singapore!
Things to do at this resort near Singapore
- Visit iconic Phang Nga Bay to see huge limestone cliffs and rock formations
- Take your tastebuds on a journey trying new plant-based cuisines at SEASON’s Restaurant
- Keen to get out on the green? There are incredible places to visit near Singapore for golf enthusiasts and this area is home to six world-class golf courses
# Malaysian getaways
Right on Singapore’s doorstep, Malaysia is an easy place to visit near Singapore. In fact, many Malaysian destinations are just a drive away. As a short trip destination it has some great beaches, historical towns and delicious food.
Just across the causeway, Johor Bahru (“JB”) can be good for the occasional shopping and eating experience (get there by car, taxi or bus). Kids will love Legoland there too; it’s barely an hour’s drive from home. Note that on Singapore public holidays, the roads can be busy, with long wait times at borders.
The Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur has areas of historical and cultural interest, fabulous views from the Petronas Towers, and buzzing nightlife in Bangsar. The nearby Batu Caves are worth visiting as one of the best places to visit near Singapore for stunning nature.
For white-sand beaches, Langkawi off the peninsular west coast and Perhentian and Redang islands off the east coast are among the highlights. Tioman, Sibu and Rawa are all close to Singapore. Kota Kinabalu in Borneo (East Malaysia) is a stepping-stone to Mabul and Sipadan resorts near Singapore.
Elsewhere, Penang and Malacca hit the spot for history. Taman Negara has the world’s oldest rainforest; the Cameron Highlands and tea plantations are located on the spine of the peninsula; and don’t forget the orangutans in Sabah.
Unwind off the Malaysian coast – BuBu Resort
The Perhentian Islands, made up of Besar (“Big”) Island and Kecil (“Small”) Island, are among the most beautiful tropical getaways off Peninsular Malaysiaʼs east coast, with clear waters full of marine life, and lush jungle set against sparkling beaches.
Among those beaches is Long Beach, which is home to BuBu Resort and BuBu Villa, ideal spots for anyone looking for a total escape from city living. BuBu Resort is at the northern end of the beach, and features 36 modern guest rooms with all the amenities you need. At the other end, half a kilometre away, is BuBu Villa, a collection of 18 single and two-room luxury villas featuring ethnic architecture and modern facilities. Once you’re checked in, private sun-loungers await, where you can soak in the sun, laze away the day and then sip on complimentary evening cocktails to cap things off!
Things to do
- Snorkel in the designated marine park and see fish, turtles and coral reefs
- Explore the tropical rainforest on an island hike
- Ramp up the romance with a sunset cruise or a candlelit dinner on the beach
# Vietnam getaways
Cruise along the Mekong Delta and visit the astonishing Cu Chi tunnels just outside Ho Chi Minh City for a reminder of the war years. In the north, soak up the colonial French atmosphere of Hanoi, then leave the city for a boat trip around picturesque Halong Bay. The middle of the country boasts culturally significant Hue and the photogenic, sleepy Hoi An, a must-visit for a step back in time.
The rural area around Sapa, in the northwest, is something different. This is one of those places to visit near Singapore with everything from village retreats to rugged cycling trips. Do yourself a favour and during your short trip take a cooking lesson; you’ll bring your holiday experience home.
Historic tours and a kids’ club – Meliá Ho Tram Beach Resort
Opened in 2019, Meliá Ho Tram Beach Resort in Vietnam is one of the seaside resorts near Singapore located southeast of Ho Chi Minh City. Enjoy stunning ocean views and take your pick from the resort’s wide range of rooms, suites and villas. Fancy a private pool? Each of the villas comes with one. You can even enjoy a floating breakfast in it! For larger groups taking a short trip, there are two- to three-bedroom villas spacious enough to house everyone comfortably.
Things to do
- Chill at Breeza Beach Club and enjoy a drink or two at the cocktail bar. You can even try your hand at whipping up your own cocktails at a mixology class!
- The resort’s Kids’ Club will also keep little guests busy with a variety of activities, including arts and crafts, fancy dress and painting.
- Treating yourself to a relaxing treatment at YHi Spa or lounge by one of the hotel’s three pools.
- Head out on an excursion to Vung Tau city, Binh Chau hot springs or other attractions nearby.
Bike rides and massages – Anantara Quy Nhon Villas
We love the sound of the one- and two-bedroom rooms at Anantara Quy Nhon Villas! Located on Vietnam’s south central coast, this all-villa property comes with infinity-style pools, in-room villa host services, spacious sundecks and also oversized bathtubs. You can choose a preferred room scent, enjoy Anantara’s signature natural soap collection, and enjoy the offerings in the in-villa wine cellar and delicatessen, including a selection of charcuterie, cheese and locally-made ice cream. There’s a swim-up bar that’s great for sampling premium cocktails, Vietnamese craft beers and Cuban cigars on your getaway. And be sure to tuck into local seafood and regional eats at Sea.Fire.Salt, the signature restaurant of this resort near Singapore.
Things to do on your short break
- Treat yourself during your short trip to an Anantara’s signature Dining by Design experience. From picnic-style to fine dining, choose which experience suits your taste.
- Looking for places to visit near Singapore offering something authentic and different? Hop on one of the hotel’s bikes and take a leisurely ride to nearby villages to explore
- Head to the Anantara Spa and enjoy massages and more in nature-inspired treatment suites.
# Maldives short breaks
Two sister resorts near Singapore – The Residence by Cenizaro
The Residence at Falhumaafushi
Situated on the unspoilt island of Falhumaafushi in Gaafu Alifu atoll, one of the largest and deepest atolls in the world, this 94 beach-front and over-water villa resort is near Singapore and offers an intimate retreat in the heart of a marine oasis.
The island’s beautiful house reef has resident sharks and turtles and is accessible right from the over-water villa deck. Designed to complement the tropical surroundings, the villas have been created using natural materials and are decorated with local artefacts.
Things to do at the resort
- The Spa by Clarins on both Falhumaafushi and sister resort Dhigurah is exclusive to The Residence in the Maldives and offers a range of treatments created exclusively for the resort. It’s an ideal place to escape as it sits directly on the lagoon.
- This resort near Singapore has three restaurants and four bars, including romantic Falhumaa restaurant at the end of a 230m jetty, right on the reef facing the Indian Ocean.
- There’s a fitness centre, kids’ club and excursions to nearby islands, and the PADI 5* Dive Centre offers all level of snorkellers and scuba-divers the opportunity to discover unspoilt coral reefs and rich marine life.
The Residence Maldives at Dhigurah
Sitting on a 2km long island that’s home to over 2,500 coconut palms and soft white-sand beaches, Dhigurah is connected to its sister property on Falhumaafushi by a beautiful 1km bridge – the longest private bridge in the Maldives.
Dhigurah is an all-inclusive resort near Singapore; guests have access to all nine restaurants and six bars across both islands, including Cantonese dining at Li Bai and Mediterranean tapas at Café del Sol at The Beach Club.
The 173 Beach, Lagoon and Water Villas overlook the stunning turquoise waters, with both sunrise and sunset views, and private pools. Meanwhile, the Kids Club is one of the largest in the southern atolls, with plenty to keep little ones entertained from nature walks and beach games to arts and crafts.
Things to do on your getaway
- Enjoy a treatment in one of the 10 overwater pavilions for singles and couples at The Spa by Clarins. There’s also a fitness centre, yoga pavilion, beauty salon and nail spa.
- Pick your own harvests at the resort’s Earth Basket, a garden full of local edible plants and fruit. The resort chef can then teach you how to whip up a delicious and nutritious meal!
- Experience the Maldivian sunset on a traditional dhoni cruise, and encounter pods of playful dolphins on your short trip.
Getaways to Laos and Cambodia
There are plenty of other great places to visit from Singapore. World-renowned Angkor Wat in Cambodia is a must-see, Luang Prabang is a meditative river town in Laos, and there are other fabulous short trips in both of these countries for culture, food, beaches and more.
Like these resorts near Singapore and short trip tips? Read about more places to visit near Singapore and getaways further afield in our Travel section.