garlic bulb, cut in half
celery, roughly chopped
carrots, roughly chopped
dry white wine
Spanish onions, roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
2. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
4. Add the celery, carrot and onion to the pot. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until very soft.
5. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Add the thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and garlic. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add the red wine, white wine and sugar. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
8. Lower the heat to medium and add the veal and chicken stocks.
9. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, brown the shanks well in the remaining half-cup of oil,
about 1 minute on each side.
10. Transfer the shanks to a roasting pan and pour the stock mixture over them.
11. Cover with aluminium foil and cook in the preheated oven for an hour. Remove the foil and cook for
another 3 hours, turning the shanks every half hour until the meat is very soft.
12. Remove the shanks from the braising liquid and strain the liquid.
Skim any fat that rises to the surface and use the liquid as a sauce.