Love pizza but not the calories that can come with it? This pizza recipe from Becky Brake at UFIT uses cauliflower for the base, rather than traditional dough, making it a flavoursome, but less calorific option!
“I’m passionate about trying and creating new recipes, and this cauliflower pizza base is actually much easier, and more clean and lean, than making a traditional pizza base. This is also a great way of getting even more veggies into your cooking, and a brilliant way of getting children involved in the cooking process.”- Becky Brake
Ingredients for tomato base:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• 2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredients for pizza base:
• 1 whole cauliflower
• ¾ cup almonds, ground
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 3 eggs, beaten
• Salt and pepper
• 1 zucchini, chopped and presteamed for 10 minutes
• 4 broccoli florets, pre-steamed then chopped
• 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
• Small amount of goat cheese, roughly chopped
• Pea shoots, roughly chopped
Instructions for tomato base:
1. Heat oil in a saucepan with the onion and garlic, and sauté for a couple of minutes. Then add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
2. Lower the heat, cover and gently simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Use straight away or leave to cool and store in a container.
Instructions for pizza:
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a large oven tray with baking paper.
2. Place the cauliflower florets into a processor and blitz until finely chopped.
3. Place cauliflower into a large bowl with ground almonds, dried oregano and beaten eggs, and mix together. The mixture will be fairly sticky!
4. Transfer mixture onto baking tray and, using your fingers, sculpt and flatten into your desired pizza shape.
5. Place in oven to pre-cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it’s a nice golden colour.
6. Take pizza out of the oven and spread on some tomato base. Scatter on your chosen toppings.
7. Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes before seasoning with some salt and pepper. Then, enjoy!
Send us a recipe!
If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
See more yummy recipes here: