Shake things up by serving some Christmas cocktails this holiday season! Here are two easy-to-make recipes courtesy of the bartenders at Atrium, Pan Pacific Singapore.
Named after the Straits-born descendants (baba is a male Peranakan and nyonya is a female), this cocktail is inspired by the warm and spicy notes of popular Peranakan ingredients such as star anise, lemongrass, ginger and nutmeg. Add the aroma and flavours of Christmas spices such as cloves and cinnamon, and it’s the perfect holiday tipple!
- 30ml grapefruit juice
- 45ml Pacific infused spice blend (see below)
- 10ml lemon juice
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 10ml egg white
- 10ml sugar syrup
- 45ml rum
- Dehydrated grapefruit (for garnish)
Ingredients for Pacific infused spice blend:
- 135ml cranberry juice
- 30ml yuzu citrus juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (or substitute with a dash of cinnamon powder)
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 lemongrass stem
- 1 cardamom pod
- 2 slices of ginger 1 coffee bean (or substitute with a dash of ground coffee powder)
Note: To make a simplified version of the spice blend, just include the most essential ingredients: cranberry juice, yuzu juice, cinnamon, lemongrass, cardamom and ginger.
Instructions for Pacific infused spice blend:
Mix cranberry and yuzu citrus juices, and add in all other ingredients.
Let the entire mixture sit for a day, then strain and use the juice blend for the cocktail.
Instructions for cocktail:
1. Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker and dry shake until frothy.
2. Add ice and shake well until cold.
3. Strain into an Irish glass and decorate with a dehydrated grapefruit. A sweet and tangy blend of berries, this burgundy-coloured cocktail will surely be a crowd-pleaser at any holiday celebration.
A sweet and tangy blend of berries, this burgundy-coloured cocktail will surely be a crowd-pleaser at any holiday celebration.
- 60ml cranberry juice
- 1 strawberry
- 2 raspberries
- 2 blackberries
- 10ml lemon juice
- 15ml sugar syrup
- 30ml Smirnoff vodka
- 15ml Chambord liqueur
- Dash of soda water
1. Muddle all berries with sugar syrup.
2. Add the lemon juice, cranberry juice, vodka and Chambord, and shake with ice.
3. Strain into a tall glass and add soda water
These cocktails are currently available upon request at Atrium at Pan Pacific Singapore, 7 Raffles Boulevard. 6826 8240 | panpacific.com/singapore
Like this? Read more at our wine and dine section.
Recipe: Summer chicken and mango salad
10 places to wine and dine on Sentosa
7 places to get your food fix at Cluny Court
This article first appeared in the December 2017 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase a copy or subscribe so you never miss an issue!