Need some dinner party inspiration? Give this surprisingly simple-to-make stuffed roast beef recipe a try!
“This stuffed beef may look and taste fancy and complicated, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find that it’s quite simple. The steak cooks beautifully and this is a great main course to make when guests are coming over because it looks impressive and is deceptively easy – love when that happens!” – Annette Lang, founder of Expat Kitchen
• 1 beef tenderloin or eye fillet, fat trimmed
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 300g mixed mushrooms, chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoons fresh milled pepper
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Slice beef lengthwise in half, cutting almost, but not completely, through; then open flat and pound to 2-centimetre thickness.
2. In a heavy-based frying pan, cook onion in butter over medium high heat for six minutes or until tender and caramelised. Add garlic, then cook and stir 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, thyme, rosemary and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook five minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in vinegar, then cook two minutes or until liquid has evaporated; let cool.
3. Spoon the mushroom mixture over beef (within three centimetres of the edges). Roll up beef, starting with the long side, and tie with kitchen string. Rub with pepper and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Place seam side-down on rack in roasting pan. If you have one, insert an ovenproof meat thermometer so that the tip is in the thickest part of the beef.
4. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until thermometer reads at least 60 degrees Celsius. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 15 minutes. Garnish platter with fresh herb sprigs.
Like this? Read more at our wine and dine section:
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.