Thinking about falling pregnant and giving birth in Singapore? There’s lots to look forward to, of course, but it pays to ponder some key issues like fees and health insurance in the first instance. Here, the team from UEX touches on some tips on doctors and hospitals, as well as maternity cover in Singapore.
Medical care in Singapore
Doctors will take the time to speak to you and explain everything in detail. Be sure to ask any questions you have about giving birth in Singapore and find out the fees of maternity care offered by your doctor and hospital before committing to them. Your doctor might bring up risks and other worrying matters, but this just means that your doctor is competent, careful and communicative. Plus, transparency between you and your doctor means that both parties can be better protected legally.
Two key tips on giving birth in Singapore
#1 Choose a hospital where your doctor is
If you have a specific doctor who you want to oversee your delivery, make sure you choose the hospital where he or she is practicing. If you choose another one, your doctor might not have as much access (if any) to the facilities needed for your delivery. You’ll also want to choose a hospital where your maternity cover can be used.
#2 Know the difference between public and private hospitals
In Singapore, both private and public hospitals are great for different reasons. You’ll need to work out your priorities to make the choice that best suits your needs. Below are just a few things to consider:
- You can expect lower medical fees at a public hospital compared to a private one.
- Administration and waiting times are shorter at private hospitals.
- At public hospitals, you don’t always have a choice of which gynaecologist you prefer to follow up with you through to delivery.
- Claims processing will be taken care of directly by private hospitals; if you opt for a public hospital, you’ll need to handle the paperwork on your own.
- If you’re looking for greater comfort and more services, go with a private hospital. Many offer perks such as luxury delivery suites, limo rides and concierge services.
What about maternity cover?
UEX can cover all expenses up to your health insurance plan’s limit (including consultation fees, midwife services, vitamins, supplements and more), thanks to its partnership with April International and AXA. Your newborn will also be covered from day one – with no waiting period required – and you won’t have to fill out additional medical questionnaires.
To learn more about how to cover your maternity fees, contact UEX’s advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit uexglobal.com.