Did you know that January 21st is said to be the most depressing day of the year in the Western World? Why? Aside from the weather (not a problem for us in Singapore!) and the end of the festive period (also not a problem here – bring on CNY!), it’s because people all over the place are giving up on their resolutions. All of those wholesome, healthy promises – to get fit, watch the calories, drink less coffee, get more sleep – just start to slip away.
Giving ourselves a health and fitness overhaul is tough – and practically impossible when we don’t have the right support system in place. And while we’d all love a team of cheerleaders driving us to exercise harder, and a friendly old lady to smack our hands when we reach for that extra cookie, we have to face up to the fact that a lifestyle turnaround is only going to work if we man up and commit.
…But what if there was a half-way house? A helping hand that keeps you ticking along, giving you that nudge to make those goals a reality? That would be nice, wouldn’t it?
Presenting UP24 by Jawbone. Made up of a snazzy wristband and mobile application, this system helps you to understand how you sleep, move and eat so you can pick the right choices to live better.
Sure, it’s not a personal trainer to follow you around all day, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction. A million steps, if the UP24 gets its way, for it records the movements you make throughout the day and pushes you to burn those pesky calories.
How does it work? Essentially, the UP24 wristband connects wirelessly to your iOS or Android device to provide continuous feedback, which is recorded in the UP App. Based on your data, you get notifications; interesting insights, celebratory milestones and fun challenges each day. The UP24 is also worn at night, so it gives you tailored reports on how your sleep and activity are related. (There’s also an extra app called UP Coffee, which tracks caffeine intake over time to demonstrate the impact of caffeine on sleep!)
The UP24 bands are super cute too – coming in different sizes and colours that fit comfortably on the wrist. The stylish gadgets are even made from hypoallergenic, medical-grade rubber, so you’ll have no problem with wearing it all day and night. Check them out in the gallery above.
There are lots of techno whizz kid features that ensure your good intentions are turned into action – whether you’re hoping to walk more, eat less or even sleep more soundly. Here are just a few…
– Today I Will: Simple, achievable opt-in commitments that focus on sleep, movement, or water intake
– Streaks & Milestones: As you continue to achieve your goals over time, the UP App notifies you with celebrations of your short-and long-term progress
– Activity Alerts: ‘Move notifications throughout the day – nudges, if you will – to keep you going
– Sleep Recovery: The bands have revolutionary sleep tracking systems
– Activity Log: The UP App reflects on recent activity by offering snapshots of the steps, sleep, workouts and meals logged.
– Reminders: Tailored reminders that prompt you, whether the task is to complete a workout, get ready for bed, drink more water or take a pill. You’ll get an app notification and gentle band buzz to keep you on track.
Starting to feel as if this could be the gadget for you? Head to Jawbone’s website or Facebook page to find out more – and get shopping! The UP24 band is $249 from Jawbone.com, and can also be picked up at Apple stores, Sprint Cass, Challenger, Harvey Norman and Courts. The UP App is free to download (as is UP Coffee).