Another Mother’s Day (10 May) is fast approaching; have you made your plans and bought your gifts? Plan ahead and make sure you show that special mama in your life how much she really means to you. Whether it’s some fancy new accessories, a photo book or a home spa day, these gifts and experiences are sure to leave mum (or your wife) feeling very spoilt.
Help mum to accessorise
Get mum a special gift at Forbidden Hill this Mother’s Day. The store carries jewellery and lacquerware collections designed in Singapore and inspired by Southeast Asian cultures. And each item comes in a silky cloth pouch inside a beautiful gift box!
What to get
- Pick up an elegant silk cuff (from $140) that comes with interchangeable silk slides in various colours and clip-on metal medallions, from the Peranakan-inspired Nyonya Blossom to the beautiful Lotus Flower.
- Featuring interchangeable inserts of Thai silk and precious metals, mum will love Forbidden Hill’s elegant silk bangles (from $195). There are three collections to choose from: the Hue range pays homage to the lattice pattern found in the Purple Forbidden City in Hue, Vietnam; the Lotus collection is inspired by regional blooms; and the Iskandar bangle is inspired by Iskandar Shah, last ruler of the Kingdom of Singapura.
- Or you could get mum some earrings from their new collection. The Hoi An collection ($115) is a modern take on lanterns in Vietnam, while the Ban Zu collection ($145) is inspired by motifs on Chinese wares that were traded in olden-day Singapore.
46 Kim Yam Road
Order a personalised photo book
Who doesn’t love looking back at old photos? Help mum keep all of her precious snaps in one place by getting her a customised photo book ($370) from Artitude Designs. Owner Sherin Qadir lovingly puts together memory books for all sorts of occasions, including Mother’s Day. She has years of experience in advertising and graphic design under her belt, so you know that your gift is in good hands. Each order of the hardcover photo book (30 pages) comes with a digital flip-style version that can be shared online. Plus, there’s free delivery in Singapore.
All you need to do is to send Sherin the photos you want to include (via Dropbox or Google Drive) and leave the rest to her! She’ll pick out the photos, edit and beautifully lay them out alongside embellishments, quotes, captions and notes. Unlike generic photo books with standard templates you find elsewhere, you’ll be able to get a personalised one which mum can cherish for years to come.
Deal! Order before 24 April and get 25% off your Mother’s Day memory book. You could also purchase a gift voucher for mum to redeem a memory book of her choice (six months’ validity). Buy the voucher before 10 May and get it at just $270 (usual price: $370).
Treat mum to spa sesh (at home!)
In line with government measures, treatments are suspended until further notice, head to their Facebook page for updates.
Aleyda Mobile Spa provides on-site spa treatments, from full body and back massages to foot reflexology. For expectant or new mummies, there are also prenatal and postnatal treatments on offer. The team will settle everything – massage equipment, fresh linen and even relaxing music – so mum won’t need to lift a finger.
What’s on offer
- Get mum some gift vouchers that she can use whenever she likes. Choose to get e-vouchers (valued at the price of the treatment/s) or printed ones (an additional $10 and delivered to the doorstep).
- Mum will love the Aleyda Signature Massage ($165, 90 minutes) which pays special attention to the neck, shoulders, lower back and glutes. Techniques combine healing modalities with spa relaxation, and will leave mum feeling refreshed and revitalised.
- If mum isn’t up for something too vigorous, she can opt for the Tranquillity Aromatherapy massage (add on $30 to the massage price). The custom-blend aromatherapy oil is made of therapeutic and calming essential oils, including geranium, bergamot, ylang-ylang and lavender.
- Why not get mum some candles? Offering up to 30 hours of fragrance, Aleyda signature soy candles ($76 for two 3.5 ounce jars) come in three scents: sage and driftwood, crushed lime and sea salt, and blood orange and bergamot.
How about some makeup?
A great Mother’s Day gift is to order some makeup for mum from Amplio Beauty. The cruelty-free, no-nasties line offers all-in-one palettes, lipsticks, lip liners and brushes – everything mum needs to look great all day.
What to get
- Coming with a matte finish and with long-lasting colour, the Amplio Lipstays ($20 for one and $120 for a full set) come in six colours, from soft pink and nude to deep burgundy and cherry red.
- The store’s creamy lip stylos ($20 for one and $120 for a full set) are perfect for creating a defined lip line. Containing Vitamin E and natural minerals, they keep the lips soft and moisturised.
- Opt for an experience kit ($310 for one makeup palette and $350 for two) where you can mix and match palettes, three lipstays, three lip stylos and a set of six brushes. Coming with nine shades of eyeshadow, two blushes and one shade of highlighter and contour, the make-up palettes are compact and easy to carry on the go. The powders are also pigmented and formulated to stay on throughout the day, even in humid climates.
Have a fun photoshoot
In line with government measures, the studio will be closed until further notice, head to their Facebook page for updates. During the closure, the studio will be offering services to design and produce family photo albums using customers’ personal photos.
Celebrate mum with a special photoshoot at Littleones Photography and capture precious moments that she can keep for years to come.
Mummy and Me ($225) is one option – it’s a studio gift voucher for mums to have a photoshoot at the studio with her little ones. There’s also the My Family Shoot ($350), a one-hour shoot for the entire brood. You have the choice of doing it at your home, preferred location or at their boutique studio, too. The package comes with an eight-by-six-inch acrylic block with mum’s favourite photo. For a real treat, indulge her with the Pamper Mum Package ($495). It includes a one-hour family photoshoot that can be done in the studio, at your home or at a location of your choice. Plus, you get a voucher for mum to get her hair done for the shoot!
Go on a relaxing staycay
In line with government measures, the hotel is currently only accepting bookings for stays after 1 June, head to their website for updates.
Take mum to Pan Pacific Singapore for a short getaway this Mother’s Day! You can treat her to a relaxing spa day at St. Gregory Spa, for example, or enjoy a meal at one of the hotel’s many restaurants. If staying in isn’t mum’s thing, head out for some retail therapy at nearby malls such as Millenia Walk, Marina Square and Suntec City.
For stays during the month of May, quote “MUMDAY” when booking the hotel’s Weekend Indulgence staycation package – you’ll get a complimentary selection of sweet treats in your room when you arrive. The promotion is valid for all weekends in May (Friday to Sunday). It starts from $270 per night and includes daily breakfast for two at Edge.
Pan Pacific Singapore
7 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square
Organise a pampering day out
In line with government measures, the salon will be temporarily closed until 2 June, head to their Facebook page for updates.
A one-stop spot for pampering mum from top to toe is Trimmings Salon & Spa. Offering a lovely laid-back ambience, the salon has a wide range of treatments, from facials and hair care to nail, eyebrow and eyelash services.
Deal! In May, the salon is having a lash perm promotion. Get your flutters done for $85 and take home a complimentary bottle of Karin Herzog eye cream (worth $85).
75B Loewen Road
Tudor Court, 123 Tanglin Road
What about some arm candy?
In line with government measures, stores will be closed until 1 June.
Got a fashionista mum? Get her a new bag from Michael Kors! There’s something for every kind of occasion, from crossbody bags and backpacks to satchels and totes. Here are some recommendations.
- Made of cross-grain leather, the Mott Zip Dome Crossbody ($339) comes with a chain-link shoulder strap and is available in black and pink.
- The Prescott backpack ($439) has a roomy interior and zipped front compartment. Available in black, sand and navy, it has padded straps and is made of durable nylon gabardine, making it great for everyday use.
- Coming in an elegant trapeze design and a variety of colours including black, lavender mist and dark blue, the Carmen satchel ($569) is made of Saffiano leather.
Multiple stores across Singapore
Order sweet treats
If your mum has a sweet tooth, she’ll love Janice Wong’s new monthly subscription box! The box comes filled with sweet surprises, including the brand’s signature products, healthy options from Optimo Foods and new items not yet out in stores. It will also include a recipe to allow mum to replicate Janice Wong creations at home, chocolate paint jars, two brushes, and edible paper and chocolate crayons. Subscriptions cost $35 per month (minimum of six months).
Home cooking ideas
If mum’s a foodie, why not order her Indian Spicebox’s ultra-useful spicebox kit ($95)? The set features a cookbook with more than 30 easy-to-follow recipes, as well as nine types of organic spices sourced from India. The box comes in either a silver or gold finish.
Looking for more about living in Singapore?