Need to know where to buy a sofa in Singapore for your living room or outdoor space? There are so many things to consider – material, colour, size, style and more. Besides getting your hands on what fits your current décor, ensure you get something comfortable (and practical!) that will meet the needs of you and your family. After all, we spend a lot of our time on our sofas! We’ve rounded up some great spots to pick up a new piece today.
Originals has an extensive range of sofas, recently expanded to include more styles, sizes and fabrics. There’s a piece to fit any room; from petite three-seaters to roomy corner sofas. Along with hard-wearing fabrics, the store also carries a soft linen fabric range that’s perfect for the tropical climate in Singapore. Pair your new sofa with an elegant hand-stitched leather armchair made with durable oak wood and Italian fabric.
- New in store are the Hansen Corner and the Hansen L-shaped Sofa that are ideal for entertaining guests. Place the extension on either the right or left to fit your home layout.
- Popular models such as the Beccy Sofa (three-seater and L-shaped) are now available in more colours, including tobacco and grey.
- If you have kids, it’s useful to have removable covers that can easily be tossed in the washing machine or dry-cleaned.
- Complement your sofa with an accent armchair for extra seating.
Crate and Barrel
Tight on space? The popular collection at Crate and Barrel now comes in compact sizes. Featuring an array of styles, they are ideal for those who previously had trouble fitting these sofas into their smaller apartments. Built by hand with a range of family-friendly fabrics to choose from, expect the latest designs that can offer you the comfort you are looking for.
- Sofa sets Lounge, Axis, Montclair, Taraval and Gia now come in new petite sizes to fit smaller homes and rooms.
- The popular Lounge II collection is now available in steel grey. Slim and modern, it has deep and low seats with soft back cushions
- Ensure that the frame has been kiln-dried as this reduces the chance of breakage and squeaking.
- Double check access points of your home so you know that your furniture can be easily brought into your house. The team at Crate and Barrel is also able to do a site visit before delivery to ensure your purchase will fit.
Finn Avenue brings in stunning designer pieces from all over the world, incorporating styles and materials from France, Italy and New Zealand. Ask them to customise your sofa to your preferred style and material, including with soft velvet and elegant leather.
- A popular choice is the plush and exquisite Duchess of Chesterfield Sofa. This modern-vintage number is hand-tufted with deeply set buttons on the backrest and seat. Made of solid hardwood, its seat cushions come with individual pocketed springs.
- The store has launched new leather sofas, including an Earl of Chesterfield Sofa that now comes in premium leather. They’re also available in compact sizes for smaller homes.
- Check the frame; a good-quality piece is typically heavier due to its sturdier frame. Kiln-dried hardwood is a good material to have.
- Ensure your purchase goes with your room’s overall look. Start thinking about carpets, cushions and other décor items while shopping.
Urbanordic offers a range of Nordic furniture, including sofas from Danish brand Wendelbo. You can get them in various modular configurations and materials, including premium fabric and leather from Europe. Most of the fabric covers are removable and washable, too.
- The modern Raft Sofa comes with a solid wood frame, comfy cushions filled with down feathers and a fully removable cover. Choose to have it in the configuration that fits your home.
- The sleek and comfy Peak Sofa is sturdy and well-built. It has a fully removable cover and its legs are made of durable powder-coated steel.
- Unzip the cover to check the inner cover, foam and feathers used. Check the weight of the foam, not just its hardness, to determine quality. Good feather fillings should be sterilised and dried to eliminate the odour.
- Good sofas are built using solid wood frames and high-density foam, making them heavy.
Danish Design Co
Danish Design Co is the only Singapore store to carry various Scandinavian brands including Eilersen, Erik Jorgensen and Fredericia. Modular and handmade in Denmark, the sofas have a five-year warranty.
- The new Butterfly by Eilersen collection comes with elegant two- and three-seater sofas as well as an armchair. Each has a down-filled seat, back cushions and armrests, and stainless steel legs.
- Eilersen offers a large assortment of textiles, so you can choose the colour, texture and composition of the sofas.
- Always ask how the sofas are built and with what materials. You won’t be able to tell this from the outside. Ensure they are made of solid wood frames for durability.
- Check the warranty and what it covers so that you can fix issues such as sunken seats if the upholstery foam gives way. A good piece should come with at least five years’ warranty.
Kuhl Home’s core Scandinavian Bolia offers luxurious sofas in numerous sizes (two-seaters to L-shaped) and designs. They are made of the finest materials, such as solid wood and premium leather. In addition, there are endless customisation options, allowing for maximum personalisation. To top it, there is a five-year warranty offered for all Bolia sofas.
- Go contemporary with the Scandinavia Remix – a modern number that retains the classic aura of its predecessor. You’ll be sure to make a statement with this slim and sleek sofa!
- Choose the classy 70s-inspired Grace which boasts exquisite details and durable steel legs.
- It is important to learn how to maintain your newly purchased sofa as different materials demand different care procedures.
- If your sofa has removable covers, purchase an extra set in a different colour (one that matches your living room’s style), so you can swap it when you want to refresh the look.
Commune’s collection is built for comfort, and you can expect a mix of mid-century and modern designs. You can also have your piece’s colour, material and layout customised to your liking.
- Sleek and refined, the popular Geormani is made of smooth leather and has sturdy kiln-dried wood legs. It’s easy to clean and is also hypoallergenic.
- Inspired by the 70s, the Verishron Sofa offers comfort, with a deep-cushioned back and seat. It’s also modular and versatile – rearrange it for the perfect fit.
- Make sure your sofa’s size doesn’t overpower the room or impede movement. Before you go shopping, measure the room, especially the wall you’ll be placing it against.
- Leather is a good option if you are looking for longevity; it’s more stain- and spill-resistant. There’s now a large selection of colours and textures, so you’re no longer confined to neutral colours like tan and black.
#02-52 Millenia Walk, 9 Raffles Boulevard;
#04-06 Paragon, 290 Orchard Road;
#02-06 IMM, 2 Jurong East Street 21; and
Commune Experience Centre, 28 Defu Lane 4
If you need to customise a sofa to suit your home, Centrepiece produces long-lasting pieces handcrafted by skilled craftsmen. Take your pick of various fabrics, from textured to patterned, and choose your preferred materials, style and shape for the right fit. You can also opt to use the store’s sofa restoration services.
- The company offers extra fabrics at lower prices; if there isn’t enough fabric to make a sofa, it can be used to customise smaller items instead.
- Pair your new sofa with premium cushions and art that come direct from the workshop and artists.
- When customising your sofa, request to choose and see what goes inside to ensure durability and quality.
- The density and structure should match how your family uses it. So, have it customised to fit your needs.
Grey and Sanders
Get your hands on a trendy sofa for your home at Grey and Sanders. From one- to four-seaters (L-shaped), they come in aniline leather and fabric options. Full-grain and durable, the quality leather showcases its natural beauty, and you can choose from basic tones such as grey, black and brown, or add a splash of colour with an orange number.
- Made of kiln-dried solid wood, the Reilly couch is a durable one. This comfy and smooth full aniline leather piece features a high-density foam cushion for greater comfort, perfect for an afternoon lie-down.
- Boasting a shiny finish, the three-seater Arya will be an elegant addition to any room. A mix of the traditional and contemporary, its tufted cushions adds to its classic appeal.
- When shopping, ask about the materials the sofas are made of, as this will determine how long they’ll last.
- If you want a material that ages gracefully, go for full-grain leather that will develop a lovely patina over time.
Head along here for more home inspiration.