If the way you’re cooking your roast chickens is not making you full of joy – here’s a fail-safe recipe by Simone Ruth, to try. Happy cooking and eating!
“Stay-home chicken meals don’t have to be overly complicated. This recipe is simple to make, yet the elderflower cider lifts the traditional roast chicken, leaving you with a guaranteed moist and flavourful gravy.”- Simone Ruth, local foodie and recipe content curator, @athomewithsimone
• 1 whole The Meat Club chicken (they’re cage-, hormone- and chlorine-free!)
• ½ an onion, diced
• 4 portabello mushrooms, diced
• 100ml cooking cream
• 3-4 rosemary sprigs
• 6 cloves garlic, crushed
• 3 sticks celery, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 100ml Marks & Spencer Farmhouse cider (or use an apple or pear cider)
• 100ml extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the chicken and dry with a kitchen towelette.
2. Mix the extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and rub over chicken; set aside.
3. For the stuffing, heat an oiled pan and fry up the onions until brown. Add in diced mushrooms and cook well. Slowly add and mix in the cooking cream, stirring well and reducing over low, simmering heat. Remove from pan and stuff creamed mushrooms into marinated chicken.
4. Place the stuffed chicken into pre-heated oven, decorate with chopped vegetables (as desired), then pour cider all over.
5. Bake at 150-160 degrees Celsius for an hour or until browned all over. Test that the chicken is well cooked by piercing the meat with a skewer and ensuring the juices that flow are clear (not pinkish in colour).
The Meat Club is an online service that brings restaurant-quality, chilled Australian meat straight to your doorstep. In addition to carrying ethically raised, Australian chicken, it offers grass-fed beef, hormone-free lamb, free-range pork, gluten-free sausages, sustainably farmed King salmon and Cone Bay barramundi, fresh fruit and veggie boxes, wine and more. Find out more at themeatclub.com.sg.
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
Want more delicious recipes? Click here
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.