Most busy areas have a taxi stand, or you can walk out to a main road and flag one down – except in the CBD where this is illegal. During peak hours, or when it’s pouring with rain, it’s best to call a taxi on the phone or via an app – it’s worth the call-out fee.
- The base fare for travelling in a standard taxi (for example, Comfort or CityCab) ranges from $3 to $3.50.
- During peak hours (Monday to Friday, 6am to 9.30am, and Monday to Sunday, 6pm to midnight), passengers pay an additional 25 percent of the metered fare; and between midnight and 6am, they pay an additional 50 percent.
- The CBD surcharge is $3.
- Call-out charges are $2.30 during non-peak hours and $3.30 during peak hours.
- Expect to pay around $12 for a 10-kilometre off-peak trip.
- Fares can be paid in cash – smaller denominations are preferred – or by credit card. Some taxis also accept NETS and EZ-Link cards. Although taxi drivers speak English, differences in accents can occasionally cause confusion.
If one of these can’t get you a cab in five minutes, the other will. It’s worth the small booking fee ($2 – $4 – or around $8 if booking in advance). Here are the main apps that are worth downloading for quick bookings…
Comfort & City Cab: 6552 111 (citycab.com.sg)
SMS Comfort & City Cab Taxi Booking: 71222 (smrt.com.sg)
Comfort & City Cab Limo Cab Service: 6552 2828
SMRT: 1800 336 8900
MaxiCombi: 9222 6888 (maxicombi.sg)
Premium Cab: 6363 6888
Prime Taxi: 6778 0808 (primetaxi.com.sg)
Transcab: 6555 3333 (transcabservices.com.sg)
Silver Cab: 6363 6888
Singapore Explorer River Taxi: 6339 6833
There’s no hard and fast rule when it comes to booking a taxi with your dog or pet. Around two-thirds of drivers will accept them (although they’re not obliged to), while others will refuse for religious or personal reasons. If you’re flagging one from the road, check they’re happy with the animal before you hop in – or, if using an app, note that you have a pet on the booking so the driver can decide before accepting your request. Alternatively, call the hot line and inform the company that you have a pet – they’ll do a call-out and send a driver who’s happy with animals. Finally, there is a specific pet taxi company called Pet Mobile who will always take furry pals: 6462 6071 (petmobile.com.sg).