I you love beetroot and want a different way to eat it, this recipe for beetroot tarts sounds very interesting!
“Feeling beat? Skip the meat. Feed your need Love a treat? Sweat a beet Bit by beat, Relish complete, Savoury sweet beats!” – MITCHELLE CHUA Limwood Gourmand, @chezmitchelle
Ingredients for the beetroot relish
- 900g beetroot (approximately 3 large beetroots)
- 100g red onion (approximately 1 red onion)
- 250g Chinese pear (approximately 1 pear)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ cup sugar (depending on preference)
- ½ cup Pukara Estate pomegranate balsamic vinegar
Instructions for the beetroot relish
- Grate beetroot and pear or slice and thinly cut.
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring all to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on. Remove lid and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes until beetroot is tender and liquid is thickened.
- Once cooled, store in the fridge to use as relish or to make beetroot tarts.
Ingredients for beetroot tart
- Homemade beetroot relish
- Ready-made puff pastry
- Pukara Estate Macadamia and chilli dukkah
- Feta cheese
Instructions for the beetroot tart
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut and fill into preferred tart mould, pierce with fork.
- Place a piece of baking paper on the pastry, fill with dried beans and blind bake for 20 minutes until puff pastry is cooked.
- Cool pastry for 5 minutes, fill with beetroot and sprinkle with feta crumbs, macadamia and chilli dukkah.
Pukara Estate products are available at Limwood Gourmet.
This article first appeared in the May 2022 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase the latest issue or subscribe, so you never miss a copy!
See our list of best restaurants in Singapore, and where to buy ingredients from grocers and supermarkets in Singapore.