An Orange Cake Recipe with a difference
“A classic cake with an orange zing and almond nuttiness, making it the best companion for afternoon tea or coffee.” – GAYATRI SINGH Director of Operations and Chef at Terra Madre
Ingredients for the orange cake
- 150g bakers flour*
- 75g almond meal*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 170g white sugar (can increase it to 200g)
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- 85g olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 24cm round tin with butter. Melt the butter, and add oil and orange juice to it. Whisk well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and orange zest and sieve them twice to eliminate all the lumps.
- Using a wire whisk or stand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, and continue to beat for five seconds.
- Use a paddle hook or a spatula to fold the flour in three batches. Fold lightly, making sure you don’t over-mix the batter.
- Pour into the greased pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for five minutes, then transfer it to the wire cooling rack.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and chopped almonds. Serve with tea!
These products are available to buy at the Terra Madre organic store at 71 Loewen Road
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
This article first appeared in the July 2022 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase the latest issue or subscribe, so you never miss a copy!
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.