Here’s a special treat to make for afternoon tea. A Chiffon Cake with a difference! “My family loves this recipe from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe (thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com). Using fresh pandan juice makes it much more fragrant – definitely worth the extra work!” – June Yap, stay-at-home mum
Chiffon Cake Recipe – Ingredients
- Four egg yolks
- 20g caster sugar
- 2¼ tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pandan juice
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 100g flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Four egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 /3 cup caster sugar
For the pandan juice (to be prepared one day before)
- Wash 200g of pandan leaves and cut into smaller pieces.
- Blend the leaves with some water (about 150ml) until pulverised.
- Squeeze as much juice as possible out of the leaves. Pour the juice into an air-tight container and refrigerate overnight.
- The mixture will separate, with water at the top and the denser pandan juice sinking to the bottom.
- After at least 12 hours, pour away the water, leaving behind the concentrated juice.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar (20g) until the mixture turns pale.
- Add the oil and beat until completely incorporated.
- Combine the pandan juice with the coconut milk. Add to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the flour and salt, and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they turn foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue whisking until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar (1 /3 cup) until firm peaks form.
- Beat one third of the meringue into the egg yolk batter.
- Gently fold the remaining meringue in two batches until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased 21cm tube pan. Lift the pan slightly off the kitchen counter and drop it onto the counter a few times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 170°C for 45 minutes.
- Once baked, invert the pan and cool the cake completely before slicing to serve.
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
Like this? Read more at our wine and dine section
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.