Need a new look? Keen for some tips on maintaining a new hairstyle? Want to indulge in a complete grooming experience? From cuts to colouring to shaves, we round up the top salons and barbers in town for the gents living in Singapore, and speak to their hair experts on what to do (and what not to do) for that perfect mane.
The award-winning Chez Vous salon is no stranger to the business. It’s not easy finding a stylist who specialises in hair colouring for Caucasian and European men, but that’s exactly what you’ll get with Associate Salon Director Khim Toh, who has made a name for herself in mastering this service! If you’re just looking for a trim (priced from $55), request the services of Associate Director Readen Chia. For those with persistent scalp concerns or hair loss issues, there’s also an in-salon trichologist, Sue Liew, who’ll get you sorted with targeted solutions like the Growth Factor Scalp Therapy ($220 for first trial). This treatment uses growth factors imported from Biopharma House in South Korea, known for producing and supplying key ingredients to top cosmetic and haircare brands.
Before you leave, don’t forget to check out the newly opened Chez Vous: HideAway Concept Hair Salon on the 14th floor of Ngee Ann City Tower B (#14-04)! Apart from its show-stopping interiors, this hidden gem offers a comprehensive menu of hair services and complimentary spa-like features like massage chairs equipped with an oxygen bar and a scalp rejuvenation laser machine. The best part? Prices are tier-based and good value – it starts from $199 for one chemical service and a haircut, regardless of hair length.
Glower Hair Care
Thinning hair and hair loss are common problems faced by men around the world. The team combines Chinese and European herbs, multivitamins, light therapy, ozone therapy and restorative massage techniques, for a treatment regime that maximises the health and wellbeing of the hair and scalp. Also, as an affiliate of the Ashley & Martin Group, this hair care centre has access to all of the latest medical options for treatment of hair loss.
Top three hair tips for men:
… from senior trichologist Pauline Yor and international consultant trichologist Christopher Wainwright
- Prevent hair loss by having a well-balanced diet. Foods high in vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc and vitamin B12 can help to revitalise thinning hair, so eat lots of leafy greens, nuts, beans, fish and lean meats. A good dietary supplement can also help cover whatever your diet is lacking.
- Just as heat is harmful to the hair, so are the multiple chemical processing treatments offered in salons. Chemically straightening or lightening your hair causes damage to the hair shaft, weakening it and resulting in hair loss. Regular treatments at Glower can keep your hair healthy, thus allowing you to keep your hair-styling regime.
- If you perspire a lot or live in a humid country, consider daily shampooing to keep your hair looking good. Combined with regular Glower scalp cleansing treatments, this stimulates the scalp and prevents the build-up of residues from pollution, dead skin cells and styling products.
Enjoy professional haircutting and grooming services at Barbers Tokyo, a stylish and sleek barbershop at Robertson Walk. Started by the people behind popular Japanese salon Devonshire, this barber focuses on hair services for men. Popular options include the signature haircut ($70), which includes a cut, wash, styling and shoulder massage. If you’re out to pamper yourself, top up $50 for a relaxing head spa. And don’t leave without checking out their chic retail space, where you’ll find haircare and grooming products to maintain your sleek new look.
Inspired by Jermyn Street in London – home to a quality mix of bespoke tailors, traditional barbers and related businesses – Jermyn Street Singapore is located in buzzy Amoy Street. This high-end shop offers top-notch men’s grooming services by experienced barbers trained at some of the leading hair institutes in the UK and Australia.
Top three hair tips for men:
… from general manager and head barber Steve Chapman
- A little blow-drying goes a long way. If your hair tends to fall flat or require a lot of product to stay in place, try blow-drying it. Once the hair is dried into place, much less product is needed to keep it that way. But remember – hot air removes moisture, and cold air sets the style!
- Distribute product evenly. Warm up the product in your hands to make application easier. Apply it to dry hair: wet hair will dilute the product and its effects. Start applying it wherever your hair is thickest; and for a more consistent look, make sure you cover your whole head of hair – not just the hair at the front!
- When speaking to your barber about styling, let him know beforehand any areas you’re unhappy with. This is usually due to the unique growth patterns of your hair; no two heads are the same. Ask your barber if there is a way to cut it that will work better with your hair growth; if so, you will need less product to achieve the same great look.
Expat Hair Studio
Founded by two expats, Jaclyn Douglas and Katherine Moss, Expat Hair Studio has become a trusted salon for many – expats and locals alike. With free Wi-Fi, tons of magazines available, and a wide variety of beverages to choose from – coffee, specialty teas and even wine – this cosy modern space is the perfect spot to unwind and get a fresh cut ($55). Look trendy with Ramie and Eason , who are the specialists for barbering and gents’ hairstyling. The salon uses the Kevin Murphy men’s range, known for being sulphate-free and cruelty-free.
Sultans of Shave
Combine classic barbering techniques with contemporary trends and you get Sultans of Shave, a snazzy space that isn’t your run-on-the-mill hair salon. Trained in London, the barbers here offer a range of services, from haircuts (from $48) to shaves (from $40). For some bonding time with dad, try the Father and Son experience ($168), a set comprising a Deluxe Shave and a Deluxe Haircut for two.
Located in Holland Village, this bright and spacious salon is a one-stop location for men’s hair and scalp needs. Salon Kream offers modern haircuts and customised services, catering mainly to Caucasian hair types. Want in on more? Drop by for a free consultation! Prices for a men’s haircut start from $68.
Top three hair tips for men:
… from Salon Kream director, Eric Ang
- It’s extra important for men to use the right shampoo and hair-care products (like scalp tonic), especially since they are more prone to hair loss. I recommend Bain Densité Homme (shampoo) and Densifique Homme (scalp ampoule) by Kérastase Paris; these products help to prevent hair loss.
- For an at-home styling that lasts a long time, first enhance your hair volume with KMS Sea Salt Spray, then mould your hair with Goldwell’s Roughman wax, and finish with a good dash of Big Finish hairspray by Goldwell.
- Men tend to use more styling products as compared to women, so they may be more prone to greasy or flaky scalps. We recommend scalp treatments and hair loss prevention treatments to thoroughly cleanse the area and keep it healthy.
We Need a Hero
For an all-inclusive grooming affair, check out this barbershop in the hip Tiong Bahru estate. Services include everything from haircuts and colouring, to brow threading, IPL and waxing (yes, Boyzilians included); this one-stop shop is the place to go if you need to spruce up your look before an important date.
Top three hair tips for men:
… from Janice K, Chief Barberess
- Head in for a consultation before deciding on a haircut.
- Trim regularly. Depending on your hair, we recommend getting a trim once every three to four weeks to keep your hairstyle in shape.
- Don’t forget about your scalp! Get your scalp checked and treated regularly for healthier tresses. At We Need A Hero, our barbers will scan and analyse your scalp before the treatment, in order to select the best level of treatment for your specific scalp condition. For best results, we recommend getting the scalp treatment professionally done at the salon once every three months.
Located in Novena Square, this barbershop offers a wide array of services for men, including shaving, haircuts, massage and even ear candling. You can customise your very own experience to what you need, and – best of all – they’re all pretty affordable! Our recommendation? Go for a premium cut ($36), then a face shave ($28), and end with a unique ear-cleaning session ($20) or a relaxing head massage ($25). Check out their Facebook page for updates!
238 Thomson Road
#02-02 Novena Square
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.