Can’t make it to the gym? No problem. Here are five exercises, courtesy of Ultimate Performance Singapore, that you can do in the comfort of your own living room. So, no excuses!
Exercise #1: Split squat
This exercise works the quads, hamstrings and glutes, and helps with core and hip stability. Aim to do three sets of 12 to 15 reps on each side.
1. Stand in a staggered position with the front foot flat on the ground and the rear foot with your heel elevated throughout the whole movement. Meanwhile, ensure both feet are pointing forward.
2. Lower your hips with both knees flexing as you descend.
3. From this position, drive the body up keeping the front foot flat and the heel of the rear foot elevated.
Tip: Maintain good posture by keeping the chest up and shoulder blades retracted.
Exercise #2: Bench Dips
This move builds upper body strength, working the shoulders, upper back, triceps and pecs. Shoot for three sets of 12 to 15 reps.
Tip: If you don’t have a weights bench, try using a stable chair or stepstool, or another steady, raised surface.
1. Position arms about shoulder-width apart with your heels on the ground and toes pointing up (you can make it easier by placing your entire foot on the ground).
2. Keep shoulder blades retracted as you lower yourself down, bending your elbow up to a 90-degree angle.
3. Lift your body by straightening the arms back up, while keeping your legs straight.
Exercise #3: Push-ups
This exercise strengthens the upper body, using the shoulders, triceps, pecs and core.
1. Place hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, above your rib cage. Knees should be on the floor with your body leaning forward (take your knees off the ground to increase the difficulty level!).
2. Keeping your core tight, lower your body until the chest almost touches the ground.
3. At the lowest position, press up keeping the body straight until the arms are straightened.
Exercise #4: Plank
This core-stabilising exercise, which helps improve posture and balance, works the abs, glutes, hamstrings, shoulders and back. Try doing three one-minute sets.
1. Place forearms on the ground with thumbs facing up (make sure elbows are under shoulders). Create a “V shape with your forearms by placing your fists in front of the face, and elbows flaring outwards.
2. Brace the core tight, flex the glutes and keep your whole body in a straight line from head to feet. Try to stay in position for one minute before resting and repeating.
Exercise #5: Mountain climbers
This cardio exercise burns fat while working the entire body. Do three sets of 20 to 30 reps.
1. After getting into a push-up position, drive one knee toward your chest, keeping arms straight throughout the movement.
2. Then, alternate by driving the forward leg back to its original position and concurrently bring the rear leg forward.
Tip: Maintain a streamlined body position at all times
Ultimate Performance Singapore
Floor 21 The Octagon, 105 Cecil Street
6536 8649 | upfitness.com.sg
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.