If you don’t work full-time, a great way to keep your brain in gear, meet new friends, and do something helpful for people is to volunteer in Singapore or the region. It can be rewarding for everyone involved and also a good addition to your CV. There are a number of charities and organisations with opportunities for doing a few hours a week or more.
Where these Expat Living readers volunteer in Singapore
We asked our panel of expat contributors to our annual City Guide about their volunteering activities.
“I’m part of the Rotary Club in Singapore and sometimes I go to Batam Island to support the orphanages by buying food and even cooking for them. There are more than 40 orphanages on Batam.” – Nicolas
“Both my children’s school and my work have various campaigns and volunteering opportunities to get involved with. The school holds events for the students to raise funds to support a group of childcare centres in Bali, for example. ” – Talia
“My wife is currently one of the executive members at ANZA. Along with being a very proactive and informative association, it also organises volunteer work such as giving out food to the needy, and it hosts black-tie events that raise money for good causes.” – Richard
“I’ve been a group leader with non-profit organisation ICCS, the International Cooking Club of Singapore. I was also one of the main photographers for a cookbook it published.” – Emőke
“Since my work also focuses on economic equality, I’ve worked pro bono for various charities, and we both do our best to give back in our own way – whether it be Willing Hearts, AWARE or somewhere like Daughters of Tomorrow.” – Charlotte
“Our company has actively contributed to various charitable causes. One is Room to Read, which focuses on efforts to provide education to girls in India and in African countries, among others. We also participate in volunteering activities at a Sikh temple, lending a hand in cooking and distributing food to temple visitors.” – Namrta
Volunteering in Singapore
Here are just a few more organisations and charities in Singapore you might consider helping out with.
- Action for Singapore Dogs (ASD) | asdsingapore.com
- Association for Persons with Special Needs | apsn.org.sg
- Caring for Cambodia | caringforcambodia.org
- Children’s Cancer Foundation | ccf.org.sg
- Children’s Surgical Centre (Cambodia) | csc.org
- Club Rainbow | clubrainbow.org
- Dover Park Hospice | doverpark.org.sg
- First Hand | firsthandvolunteers.com
- Friends of the Museum | fom.sg
- Habitat for Humanity | habitat.org.sg
- H.O.M.E. | home.org.sg
- I-India | i-indiaonline.com
- Make a Wish Foundation | makeawish.org.sg
- Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA) | rdasingapore.org
- Red Cross Society | redcross.org.sg
- SPCA | spca.org.sg
- Tabitha Foundation | tabithasingapore.com
To make the most of living in Singapore, read our latest City Guide here for free!