Here’s some more Expat Living trivia for you! This time, we take a look at the facts, figures, films and other hallmarks of the festive season. See how you go with the 20 questions in our Christmas quiz. (And here’s hoping your scorecard is more “Joy To The World” than “Silent Night”…)
#1 Which two of Santa’s reindeers have names starting with “C”?
#2 Match the song with the artist: “White Christmas”, “Like It’s Christmas”; “Blue Christmas”, “Last Christmas” – Wham!; Bing Crosby; Jonas Brothers, Elvis Presley.
#3 With which saint is the legend of Santa Claus connected?
#4 What’s the first name of the child who is left home alone in the film Home Alone?
#5 What did my true love give to me on the eighth day of Christmas?
#6 Which fairy tale inspired the first gingerbread houses?
#7 Scottish entrepreneur James Edgar is credited with starting the tradition of dressing as Santa Claus, in which year; 1890, 1921 or 1946?
#8 What is Scrooge’s first name?
#9 Model Helena Christensen was born on Christmas Day in 1968. Which rock star did she date in the early 1990s?
#10 What three gifts do the Three Wise Men give to baby Jesus, according to the bible story?
#11 Who plays the title role in the film Elf?
#12 On which day of the week will Christmas fall in 2021?
#13 Who stole Christmas?
#14 Which singer, nicknamed “The Godfather of Soul”, died on Christmas Day in 2006?
#15 While red and green are the colours traditionally associated with Christmas, what two other colours are considered extremely popular in the festive season?
#16 Which oversized Star Wars villain replicates Santa’s catchphrase of “Ho, ho, ho” in a scene from Return of the Jedi?
#17 “Feliz Navidad” is “Merry Christmas” in which language?
#18 On Christmas Day in 1997, Jerry Seinfeld announced that the show Seinfeld would cease production at the end of its ninth season. Name the show’s four main characters.
#19 “I melt toes” is an anagram of which item commonly associated with Christmas?
#20 In 2018, which 1944 Christmas song was banned from many North American radio stations on the back of the #MeToo movement (initials: BICO)?
What am I?
(If you can answer correctly on the first clue, you get 10 points, but you lose a point for each additional clue you require after that.)
- I’m an iconic thing associated with Christmas. (10)
- I was probably invented in Germany in the 17th century. (9)
- A special machine, the Keller Machine, was invented to make me. (8)
- The largest version of me was made in 2012; it measured 15.5 metres. (7)
- I’m associated with the legend of shepherds visiting the infant Jesus. (6)
- It’s thought that around 1.2 billion of me are sold each year, nearly all in the first few weeks of December. (5)
- American rock band The White Stripes sing a song about me, mention me in the lyrics of another song, and often dress in my colours. (4)
- For 200 years, I was only available in a white version. Then I became red and white. (3)
- I’m curved, striped and sweet. (2)
- I am a c_____ c_____. (1)
All the answers!
#1 Comet and Cupid
#2 “White Christmas”, Bing Crosby; “Like It’s Christmas”, Jonas Brothers; “Blue Christmas”, Elvis Presley; “Last Christmas”, Wham!
#3 St Nicholas
#5 Eight maids a-milking
#6 Hansel and Gretel
#9 Michael Hutchence (INXS)
#10 Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh
#11 Will Ferrell
#13 The Grinch
#14 James Brown
#15 Gold and silver
#16 Jabba the Hutt
#18 Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer
#20 “Baby, It’ s Cold Outside”
Bonus: Candy cane
See more in our Things to Do section!
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.