Running out of recipes for the family? Here’s a recommended one that’s easy to make – so, get baking! “This pie is a combination of love, health, easiness and comfort. Because of its versatility, it could be prepared as a gluten-free version just by using gluten-free flour. It’s always a highlight dish at dinner parties, and kids love it, too!”
– Dr Andrea Rajnakova, Gastroenterologist, Slovakian
Recipe makes approximately 12 servings
Ingredients for pie crust
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (use gluten-free flour if preparing a gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter
- ¼ cup cold milk or water
Ingredients for filling
- 250g frozen spinach, boiled with water drained
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 200g mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- Mix together the flour, salt and cold butter (cut into smaller pieces to make it easier), and work the butter. Gradually add in the milk or water, and mix until it forms a crumbly dough.
- Place the dough into a pie pan; press dough into the bottom and sides of the pan to form the crust. Then, place the crust in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Then bake the crust for about 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, boil the spinach until soft, drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Combine ricotta, grated mozzarella and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add cooked spinach, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste, and mix together.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into the pie crust and bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius.
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.