“Dripping with passionfruit syrup, this cake not only has wow factor, but is also quite simple to make. It’s the perfect recipe for afternoon tea or, even better, serve while still warm with cream or ice cream as a dessert.”
– Expat Kitchen
Ingredients for cake
- 150g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup thick Greek natural yoghurt
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
Ingredients for syrup
- 1 cup passionfruit pulp
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and lightly grease cake tin.
- To make the cake, place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl, and beat with an electric mixer for 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the Greek yoghurt and beat until well combined.
- Fold through the sifted flour and spoon into cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Place passionfruit pulp, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Allow cake to cool in tin for five minutes. Remove from tin and let cool for five more minutes on a wire cooling rack.
- Transfer to serving plate, spike all over with a thin skewer and drizzle cake with syrup. Tip: Serve while still warm!
Don’t miss: Expat Kitchen is holding Basic Baking classes on 8, 15, 22 and 29 May! For all the details, visit expat-kitchen.com.
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
We hope you found this interesting; click here if you’d like to read more.
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.