Whether you’re hosting Christmas dinner or simply want to whip up something festive for your friends and family, here’s a recipe you can’t go wrong with.
Ingredients for cake:
• 1½ cups plain flour
• 1½ cups self-raising flour
• ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tablespoon ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• Good pinch of salt
• 250g butter (softened at room temperature)
• 1¼ cups of firmly packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs • ½ cup golden syrup
• 1 cup buttermilk Ingredients for lemon icing:
• 60g butter (softened at room temperature)
• 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest or rind
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
Instructions for cake:
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius (or with fan, 140 degrees Celsius).
2. Grease a deep 23-centimetre square or circular cake pan and line base with baking paper.
3. Sift dry ingredients, except sugar, into a large bowl and set aside.
4. In another large bowl, use an electric beater to beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then golden syrup and buttermilk.
5. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat mixture on low speed until ingredients are combined.
6. Increase speed to medium; beat mixture for about three minutes or until mixture is smooth and pale in colour.
7. Spread mixture into pan and bake for about 45 minutes until skewer comes out clean. Let cake stand in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
8. Meanwhile, make lemon icing. Once cake is well cooled, spread on icing.
Instructions for lemon icing:
Using an electric beater, beat butter, lemon rind and icing sugar in a bowl. Gradually, beat in lemon juice as required.
Want more delicious recipes? Click here
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.