If you want a one-stop hub for home accessories and some of the best furniture stores in Singapore, this place in Outram is a must-visit. Unassuming on the outside, there’s all types of good furniture at the Tan Boon Liat Building, from Asian antiques and vintage furniture to Scandinavian contemporary furniture. Plus, it has almost everything home decor related – tablecloths, dining tables and settings, cushions, sofas, coffee tables, mattresses, carpets, lamps, lights, ornaments and even art for your walls.
Journey East for vintage furniture & more!
This old favourite is turning 26 years old and we’re proud to have been working with them for the majority of that! Journey East stocks lovely restored vintage pieces of furniture hand-picked from Java. Plus, they have contemporary d-Bodhi collections that you can mix and match with their vintage collection. Many of their furniture pieces are eco-friendly and use reclaimed wood. Other sustainable materials include handwoven rattan, hand-crafted bark plus handwelded and recycled iron. The store also carries some gorgeous gifts and accessories, so it’s a good idea to check them out for Christmas and birthdays.
Top Furniture Store Picks
- Beautiful, traditional craftmanship is a key feature in the restored pieces of their vintage collection.
- The solid teak sets, like the hardy d-Bodhi Artisan Desk with Purus joinery, are sustainably sourced and will last forever.
- Inject some fun into your space with the casual and bright pieces from Qeeboo.
- Looking for timeless specials? The District Eight Foosball, a great choice for the ultimate man cave or Father’s Day pressie.
Grey & Sanders for modern classic furniture
Grey & Sanders carries an array of furniture made with impeccable craftsmanship, using the finest material from around the world. The store is particularly known for its solid wood dining tables made from prized American black walnut wood. You can even customise your dining tables and sofas here from an impressive collection of beautiful wood slabs and premium leather options. This local brand also offers open-concept wardrobes and furniture products such as TV consoles and coffee tables.
Top Furniture Store Picks
- The Ashby Sofa is the epitome of “form meets function” with an adjustable headrest so you can configure your sitting position according to your day’s mood. Available in a vast selection of leather originating from Brazil, Italy and Germany, the furniture is easily adaptable to suit any home with its simple style but lavish feel. You can also add an ottoman for extra comfort on those lazy Sundays.
- Create your very own dining table by choosing a table top from a wide selection of wood slabs and table legs of your choice, allowing you to mix and match to suit your personal aesthetics. This one-of-a-kind table will definitely be a highlight of your home décor.
Dormiente for a healthy sleep
Recently attaining the Germany Green Brand Award 2021-2022 (an EU certification for ecological sustainability) is Dormiente, which offers organic natural latex mattresses for babies and children and orthopaedic back care mattresses with unsurpassed quality for a safe and healthy sleep.
The mattresses are also perfect for allergy sufferers as they’ve been tested free of 200 types of harmful chemicals. Pair your new mattress with the store’s adjustable bed bases for optimal benefits, along with height adjustable pillows and organic bedding that, again, is ideal for those with allergies. All are handcrafted in Germany.
With 30 modern, custom-crafted, toxic-free bed frames made from FSC-certified sustainable European hardwoods and 15 types of adjustable bed slats, you’ll be sleeping soundly in no time.
Book a private trial consultation to enjoy the Dormiente experience!
Top Bedroom picks
- The best-selling Natural Classic Orthoform Female and Male Mattress has been recommended by the German Association of Back Posture Trainers, as it can help with the regeneration of the spine.
- Ergonomically designed motor bed bases like the Ergo Natura Z Disc Frame and Physioform are fully adjustable for the different zones of the body: neck/shoulders, waist/hip and legs.
- System 7 is a patented bed base that enables full customisation of firmness in seven different orthopaedic zones.
Soul & Tables for contemporary furniture collections
Known for its multi-brand collections, Soul & Tables (formerly Ethnicraft Online) offers a wide selection of furniture and accessories, specialising in contemporary teak and oak pieces. All of the store’s teak is crafted using FSC-certified, sustainably harvested wood – and the oak collection is equally modern and environmentally friendly. With the wide selection of handcrafted trays and tables from the Notre Monde collection, ethically sourced rugs from Grey House, and traditional handcrafted African mud-cloth cushions from Mae Woven, you’ll not only be able to furnish your home but complete it with every finishing touch.
All the products in this furniture store come with complimentary delivery, lifetime warranty and maintenance services. There’s also a free 30-day return and one-for-one disposal of items. From ethical sourcing of high-quality furniture to providing customers with a seamless shopping experience, Soul & Tables can help build a home you’ll love for years to come.
Top Furniture Store picks
- Woven+ is an indoor and outdoor furniture range that combines high-quality materials – resin, rope, aluminium and teak – with exceptional craftsmanship to materialise into gorgeous designs. Every piece is designed to withstand the elements of different weather conditions while keeping its stylish appeal.
- Reflecting sculptural elegance and contemporary craftsmanship, the Bok Chair adds a refined touch of beauty to any home. Match it with the Bok or Geometric Dining Table for a complete dining set.
Emperor’s Attic for quality Chinese antiques & more
With 20 years of history in Singapore, Emperor’s Attic (formerly FairPrice Antique) carries antique, vintage and new Chinese furniture, as well as Asian-inspired art and accessories. Expect to find colourful hand-painted cabinets, elegant sideboards, classy chests, ceramic stools and foo dogs – all selected for looks and storage needs. Sourced from dedicated artisans in Northern China, these are quality, authentic pieces. There’s always something new to check out, too, as a fresh shipment arrives every few months. And you also can buy everything online now!
Top Furniture Store picks
- Emperor’s Attic supports local and expat artists including Louise Hill, Deborah McKellar, Diana Francis, Samantha Redfern and John J Mathis.
- Look out for a new range of custom-made lamps, in addition to the already wide collection of handmade ceramics, candles, cards and books.
- Looking for a new mattress? Visit Emperor’s Attic to try a comfy and luxurious Willow Mattress made from European-certified 100 percent natural and organic latex.
LivingwithArt for every style of artworks
This is a great discovery: a physical gallery in the Tan Boon Liat Building, plus an online gallery that lets you select images based on colour, price range and type of art, whether it’s a painting or photography! There are also heaps of sub-categories to consider, from abstract and landscape, to modern art, fine art, Singapore themed works and more. Prices for a print on canvas start from an affordable $144. Can’t find something that’s just right? You can also request to commission an artwork, and have it painted by the gallery’s in-house artist. Or, if you’ve seen an image you really like online, you can get it printed on canvas too. The possibilities are endless – and you can choose the style and colour scheme of the art to match the home décor of a particular room.
Top Art Picks
- LivingwithArt supports local artists such as the award-winning Aaron Gan, celebrity painter Jaime Teo and budding young talents Amanda Lim and Jays Phua.
- The Singapore-themed art is great if you’re choosing leaving gifts for expats, and the prices are right too!
- There’s also a range of sculptures and cool metal artwork to add a touch of elegance to your interiors.
Fritz Hansen for Danish design furniture
If you prefer clean, pure lines and high-quality craftsmanship of mid-century Danish furniture then head to Danish brand, Fritz Hansen. Founded in Denmark in 1872 with the mission to craft beautiful, timeless design without compromising comfort, the company believes that a single piece of furniture can revamp an entire room or building – and then influence the minds of the people living or working in that space. With iconic designs such as The Egg and Swan Chair, eagle-eyed design aficionados can come, hang out and relax in the new lifestyle-centric space.
Top Furniture Store picks
- Besides chairs and lounge chairs, own a piece of Fritz Hansen with accessories that will enhance any space. The exquisite Ikebana and Ikeru vases by Jaime Hayon lends a touch of beauty and nature to the room. Rugs and poufs by Cecilie Manz sets the tone for a cosy and welcoming atmosphere.
Vitra for designer furniture Swiss-style
Located in a large, bright 400-square-metre space is Swiss brand Vitra. It’s known for furniture classics by Verner Panton or Jean Prouvé, as well as contemporary designs by Ronan and Eric Bouroullec, Hella Jongerius, Jasper Morrison and Konstantin Grcic. Check out the different settings that showcase the store’s furniture; from living, dining and home office to formal and informal office systems. Vitra believes that home and office environments should be made up of a “collage” of old and new, high and low, classic and contemporary. And you can certainly achieve that shopping here, with classic designs from the 20th century and key modern contemporary pieces.
Top Furniture Store picks
- A result of a long-standing collaboration between Vitra and designer Antonio Citterio, the Grand Relax is a compact, luxurious reclining lounge chair. The soft, feather, foam-filled cushions make it ideal for sinking into, while the seat and backrest even move independently to adapt to your body.
- Browse through the Vitra Accessories Collection, which encompasses a growing portfolio of design objects, accessories and textiles. The collection is based on classic patterns and objects conceived by designers such as Jean Prouvé, Alexander Girard and George Nelson, and eclectic pieces by contemporary designers; its hallmarks are authenticity, joy and playfulness.
#14-08 Tan Boon Liat Building
Ritzhouzz for classic beds, sofas and more
This furniture store in Tan Boon Liat building distributes international mattress brands such as Lady Americana, Kingsdown, Intelli-Sleep and also Comfort Spring, which is manufactured in its own factories in Vietnam and Malaysia. The 600-square-metre showroom houses the latest “Smart” bed technology from the USA, along with reclinable sofas and sleep-enhancing accessories designed and built by Physical Therapy from Thailand.
There’s also a focus here on distributing sofas that incorporate the latest technologies, such as Aquaclean from Spain, and Acacia from Belgium, along with genuine leather from Italy. The store promotes mid- to high-end sofas with customer satisfaction in mind; you can choose to customise according to your preference of design, colour and feel.
Aside from beds and sofas, you’ll find dining tables with table-tops in different materials including marble, quartz, tile and teak, and customisable chairs to match those tables. Ritzhouzz’s goal is to provide flexibility and a “one-stop experience”, so you can satisfy your home décor needs in a way that allows you to save time and money.
- Opt for the Lady Americana range of premium “chiropractor approved” mattresses; or a mattress by Kingsdown, which is among the top bedding producers in North America.
- As a perfect accompaniment to an ultra-comfortable mattress, choose an ergonomic pillow and bolster from Mr Big.
- There are also products in the Intelli-Sleep Therapeutic Sleep System and the Comfort Spring range that are sure to enhance every night’s sleep.
Arete Culture for designer interiors
Shop the collections of award-winning Arete Culture across two retail showrooms. The Tan Boon Liat showroom is a treasure trove of home accessories and soft furnishings, while the flagship showroom, Atelier by Arete, houses furniture, carpets and the outdoor living collection. New stock arrives every month with globally sourced and limited-edition pieces. Many pieces are also designed by the founder, Caroline Chin Geyler, so you won’t find them elsewhere! Need help putting your dream home together? Just turn to the store’s signature interior design and styling services (Expat Living Readers’ Choice Winner in 2021) to get your dream look.
Top Home Decor picks
- Extensive collections of cushion covers and table accessories, including photo frames, vases, storage boxes, ceramics and more. Customers also love the selection of lighting, mirrors and wall art.
- The bespoke furniture range, which includes customisable headboards, dining table sets, sofas, coffee tables and sideboards. All items can be available in four weeks.
- Table accessories featuring agate, marble and natural gemstones set in stainless steel (launching end 2021).
The Past Perfect Collection – for authentic colonial furniture
Love colonial-style furniture? Visit The Past Perfect Collection and you’ll be transported back in time. The store is filled with gorgeous antique furniture pieces that have been restored to their former glory through exquisite polishing and fresh upholstery; think romantic four-poster beds, handsome rosewood cabinets and sturdy travelling chests with heavy brass locks. You can also pick up silverware from Jaipur, India, including candlesticks and photo-frames that make perfect gifts. And the elegant tableware from Good Earth will add a sophisticated touch to any table setting.
Top Home Decor Picks:
- Antique desks at Past Perfect are consistently in demand for the office or home study. A close second in terms of popularity are the dining tables; they never go out of style and the quality is paramount.
- Cane furniture such as planter’s chairs, daybeds and sofas are ideal for the Singapore heat – and the best place to enjoy a gin and tonic!
- The store’s stylish accessories include antique maps, decorative silverware and Good Earth tableware; they’re all great gifts and will add a finishing touch to any interior.
Gaya Alegria for home textiles, lighting and art
This international retail company specialises in home textiles, home décor, lighting and art with one of the biggest collections of handmade cushion covers in Singapore. The products are mainly sourced from Fair Trade suppliers, and all are personally and carefully selected by the team to ensure the highest quality. They’re designed with an individual personal touch reflecting the store’s range of sustainably managed manufacturers. In short, the Gaya Alegria mission and aspiration is to assist clients to decorate their homes by developing exclusive collections and beautiful designs.
Top Home Decor Picks
- There’s a large and exclusive collection of cushion covers in an array of colours, designs, sizes and fabrics.
- Home accessories include elegant throws, table linen, lampshades, and beautiful cases and bags.
- The “Atelier du Bois by Gaya Alegria” collection of handcrafted solid boards and blocks features premium quality, kiln-dried solid oak from the US.
- If you’re looking for exclusive gift ideas or handsome décor items for the home, you’ll also find handmade baskets, candle holders, photo frames, wooden ladders, lanterns, trays, table ware, and lovely scented candles and diffusers.
- Along with the original hand-painted artworks, custom-made artworks can be designed according to your own preferences of design, size and materials.
Royal Interiors for luxury European furniture and lighting
Spread over four levels in the Tan Boon Liat Building, Royal Interiors offers more than 20,000 square feet of luxury European furniture, including 20 renowned brands such as Walter Knoll, Zanotta, Rolf Benz, Kartell and Cattelan Italia. Each piece is carefully selected to allow for a wide choice in material, finish and style; and made-to-order items are available too. Whether you’re looking for Bauhaus design or the latest trend from Italy, you’ll definitely find inspiration and ideas here. These are high-quality products created by some famous designers and produced by skilled craftsmen.
Royal Interiors has been in the Tan Boon Liat Building since 2014; it’s a family business that started in 1956 as a luxury textile retailer. Suresh Nandwani, who now runs the company, began his career as an interior designer and transformed his passion for furniture into one of the largest importers of European brands in Singapore. He really enjoys getting involved in his customer’s projects – so don’t hesitate to bring your floor plan if you need advice for furnishing your space! You’ll also find lighting and outdoor furniture here, so it’s a one-stop shop for to completing your home projects.
- The best-selling sofa range from Gamma features Italian leather with unique designs. The modularity of the pieces allows them to fill the space you need in various configurations.
- Do you want wood, marble, glass or ceramic for your dining table? Experience and explore a large variety of materials and find out which one best suits your needs.
- If you have an urgent project to complete (or you’re too impatient to wait three months!), the store offers available stock that can be delivered within just a few days.
For loads of great home decor and furniture at The Tan Boon Liat Building head to 315 Outram Road.
There’s more good furniture in our big guide too.
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.