If you want a one-stop furniture and accessories hub in Singapore, the Tan Boon Liat Building at Outram is the place to go. Modest and unassuming on the outside, the building holds all types of furniture shops from Asian antiques and vintage to Scandinavian contemporary furniture. There’s also plenty of home décor accessories and soft furnishings – it really is ‘everything under one roof’! If you’re setting up home or just replacing a few things, here are some of the best stores for dining tables, sofas, coffee tables, mattresses, soft furnishing, carpets, lamps, lights, ornaments and even art for your walls.
Journey East for vintage delights
This old favourite is turning 25 years old and we’re proud to have been working with them for the majority of that! Journey East stocks lovely restored vintage pieces of furniture hand-picked from Java. Plus, they have contemporary d-Bodhi collections that you can mix and match with their vintage collection. Over 90 percent of the products are eco-friendly and they use sustainably sourced reclaimed wood and recycled iron to create new pieces. The store also carries gifts and accessories, so it’s a good idea to check them out for Christmas and birthdays.
- Beautiful, traditional craftmanship is a key feature in the restored pieces of their vintage collection.
- The solid teak dining sets, like the hardy d-Bodhi Celebes dining table with rustic bench, are sustainably sourced and will last forever.
- Inject some fun into your space with the casual and bright pieces from Qeeboo.
- Looking for timeless designs? The District Eight Distrikt Bed (with matching bedside tables) in natural North American oak is for you!
Soul & Tables for contemporary collections
Known for its multi-brand collections, Soul & Tables (formerly Ethnicraft Online) offers a wide selection of stylish furniture and accessories, including contemporary teak and oak pieces. The teak range is also crafted using FSC-certified, sustainably harvested wood. The oak range is equally modern and environmentally friendly. Pick up handcrafted trays and tables from the Notre Monde collection or the latest decorative cushion covers by Mae Woven; they’re handmade using a globally-sourced fabric called African mud cloth. Traditionally from Mali, mud cloth is made from cotton, and dyed using traditional methods. All the Mae Woven cushion covers are hand-woven and hand-printed in Africa by local artisans. Also, all products in store come with complimentary delivery, lifetime warranty and maintenance services. There’s also a free 30-day return and one-for-one disposal of items.
- Woven+ is an indoor and outdoor furniture range that combines high-quality material. Resin, rope, aluminium and teak are combined with exceptional craftsmanship and gorgeous designs. Every piece has even been built to withstand weather conditions but still keep its stylish and soft natural tones.
- Brilliantly mixing original coloured natural oak with black painted oak, the Blackbird collection delivers timeless, natural charm. The latest addition to the collection is the Oak Blackbird Rack; it’s made from solid oak, with a black-tainted oak frame and black metal legs.
Emperor’s Attic for quality Chinese antiques & more
With 20 years of history in Singapore, Emperor’s Attic (formerly FairPrice Antique) carries antique, vintage and new Chinese furniture, as well as Asian-inspired art and accessories. Expect to find colourful hand-painted cabinets, elegant sideboards, classy chests, ceramic stools and foo dogs – all selected for looks and storage needs. Sourced from dedicated artisans in Northern China, these are quality, authentic pieces. There’s always something new to check out, too, as a fresh shipment arrives every few months. And you also can buy everything online now!
- Emperor’s Attic supports local and expat artists including Louise Hill, Deborah McKellar, Diana Francis, Samantha Redfern and John J Mathis.
- Look out for a new range of custom-made lamps, in addition to the already wide collection of handmade ceramics, candles, cards and books.
- Looking for a new mattress? Visit Emperor’s Attic to try a comfy and luxurious Willow Mattress made from European-certified 100 percent natural and organic latex.
Vitra for designer Swiss designs
Located in a large, bright 400-square-metre space is Swiss brand Vitra. It’s known for furniture classics by Verner Panton or Jean Prouvé, as well as contemporary designs by Ronan and Eric Bouroullec, Hella Jongerius, Jasper Morrison and Konstantin Grcic. Check out the different settings that showcase the store’s furniture; from living, dining and home office to formal and informal office systems. Vitra believes that home and office environments should be made up of a “collage” of old and new, high and low, classic and contemporary. And you can certainly achieve that shopping here, with classic designs from the 20th century and key modern contemporary pieces.
- A result of a long-standing collaboration between Vitra and designer Antonio Citterio, the Grand Relax is a compact, luxurious reclining lounge chair. The soft, feather, foam-filled cushions make it ideal for sinking into, while the seat and backrest even move independently to adapt to your body.
- Browse through the Vitra Accessories Collection, which encompasses a growing portfolio of design objects, accessories and textiles. The collection is based on classic patterns and objects conceived by designers such as Jean Prouvé, Alexander Girard and George Nelson, and eclectic pieces by contemporary designers; its hallmarks are authenticity, joy and playfulness.
#14-08 Tan Boon Liat Building
Fritz Hansen for Danish design
If you prefer clean, pure lines and high-quality craftsmanship of mid-century Danish furniture then head to Danish brand, Fritz Hansen. Founded in Denmark in 1872 with the mission to craft beautiful, timeless design without compromising comfort, the company believes that a single piece of furniture can revamp an entire room or building – and then influence the minds of the people living or working in that space. With iconic designs such as The Egg and Swan Chair, eagle-eyed design aficionados can come, hang out and relax in the new lifestyle-centric space.
- Besides chairs and lounge chairs, own a piece of Fritz Hansen with accessories that will enhance any space. The exquisite Ikebana and Ikeru vases by Jaime Hayon lends a touch of beauty and nature to the room. Rugs and poufs by Cecilie Manz sets the tone for a cosy and welcoming atmosphere.
Arete Culture for designer interiors
The diverse collections of interior styling firm Arete Culture spread across two retail showrooms. The main showroom is a one-stop lifestyle shop – furniture, textiles, home accessories and lighting. The dedicated Outdoor Living showroom is now located at the new Atelier by Arete showroom; it’s ten minutes by car from Tan Boon Liat. Choose from an extensive selection of styles or explore the in-house line of made-to-order furniture. New stock arrives every two weeks with globally sourced and limited-edition pieces. Need help putting your dream home together? Just turn to the store’s signature styling services (Expat Living Readers’ Choice Winners in 2020) to get your dream look.
- There are extensive collections of cushion covers and table accessories, including photo frames, vases, storage boxes, ceramics, and more!
- Oversized mirrors and customisable furniture include customisable headboards, dining table sets, sofas, coffee tables and sideboards. All items can be available in three to four weeks.
Living with Art for every style of art
This is a great discovery: a physical gallery in the Tan Boon Liat Building, plus an online gallery that lets you select images based on colour, price range and type of art, whether it’s a painting or photography! There are also heaps of sub-categories to consider, from abstract and landscape, to modern art, fine art, Singapore themed works and more. Prices for a print on canvas start from an affordable $144. Can’t find something that’s just right? You can also request to commission an artwork, and have it painted by the gallery’s in-house artist. Or, if you’ve seen an image you really like online, you can get it printed on canvas too. The possibilities are endless – and you can choose the style and colour scheme of the art to match the home décor of a particular room.
- Living with Art supports local artists such as the award-winning Aaron Gan, celebrity painter Jaime Teo and budding young talent Norman Selamat.
- The Singapore-themed art is great if you’re choosing leaving gifts for expats, and the prices are right.
- There’s also a range of sculptures and cool metal artwork to add a touch of elegance to your interiors.
#02-05 Tan Boon Liat Building
9826 4172 (WhatsApp) | livingwithart.com.sg
Nasser Nishaburi for carpets with a difference
This shop is about a long journey – a personal quest to follow a rich tradition and deep passion for oriental rugs. From this, a fascinating collection of carpets and rugs has been curated. Nasser Nishaburi is the sixth generation of a family that’s been in the carpet business since 1750. He’s a designer, producer and collector; he really wants people to learn about carpets and rugs and see the wide range of beautiful pieces without feeling any obligation to buy. He wants you to feel the difference the minute you walk in to his store. The showroom offers a wide range of carpets from inexpensive rugs for daily heavy use to highly collectable masterpiece, classic and modern – and some truly fascinating ones! But all are very different from other carpets in Singapore.
- A marvellous collection of authentic and nomadic rugs with exciting designs and vibrant colours.
- Nasser’s very own productions with exuberant colours and unique, exciting designs.
- The shop offers a carefully handpicked collection of classic and modern rugs that are reasonably priced.
Grey and Sanders for minimalist and industrial
Grey and Sanders carries a wide range of furniture made with fine workmanship and high-quality materials. The store is particularly known for stocking furniture made from prized American black walnut wood. Choose from an impressive collection of beautiful wood slabs of various lengths to custom-make your own dining table. Pair your table with a sleek wooden bench or a range of chairs to create an irresistible dining setting that’s bound to impress your guests. This local brand also offers both fabric and leather sofas and open-concept wardrobes.
- The Ashby Sofa is the epitome of “form meets function” with an adjustable headrest so you can configure your sitting position according to your day’s mood. Available in a vast selection of leather originating from Brazil, Italy and Germany, the furniture is easily adaptable to suit any home with its simple style but lavish feel. You can also add an ottoman for extra comfort on those lazy Sundays.
- Create your very own dining table by choosing a table top from a wide selection of wood slabs and table legs of your choice, allowing you to mix and match to suit your personal aesthetics. This one-of-a-kind table will definitely be a highlight of your home décor.
Dormiente for bedroom bliss
If you’re looking for a safe and pure organic natural latex mattress for babies and children or an orthopaedic back-care mattress for adults, pop in and see Dormiente. Made with organic latex, organic cotton and pure new wool quilting, they’re handcrafted in Germany and tested free of 200 types of harmful chemicals, making them perfect for allergy sufferers. With 50 different custom-crafted, toxic-free bed frames made from FSC-certified sustainable European hardwoods and 16 types of adjustable bed slats, you’ll be sleeping soundly in no time. You can book an appointment for a trial consultation to experience the different ranges. Relax and take a power nap during the one-hour sleep trial!
- Dormiente’s best-selling Natural Classic Orthoform Female and Male Mattress has been recommended by the German Association of Back Posture Trainers, as it can help with the regeneration of the spine.
- Enjoy comfortable sleep with an ergonomically designed, adjustable slatted or motor bed base like the Ergo Natura and Physioform.
- The Viva Bed is handcrafted in Germany using sustainably grown FSC-certified European wood.
Gaya Alegria for a little of everything home décor
This international retail company specialises in home décor, home textiles, lighting, art and furniture. The products are sourced from Fair Trade suppliers, and all are personally and carefully selected by the team to ensure the highest quality. They’re designed with an individual personal touch reflecting the store’s range of sustainably managed manufacturers. In short, the Gaya Alegria mission and aspiration is to assist clients to decorate their homes by developing exclusive collections and beautiful designs. The handmade collections are eco-friendly, with the guarantee of sustainable quality.
- There’s a large and exclusive collection of cushion covers in an array of colours, designs, sizes and fabrics.
- Home accessories include elegant throws, table linen, lampshades, and beautiful cases and bags.
- The “Atelier du Bois by Gaya Alegria” collection of handcrafted solid boards and blocks features premium quality, kiln-dried solid oak from the US.
- If you’re looking for exclusive gift ideas or handsome décor items for the home, you’ll also find handmade baskets, candle holders, photo frames, wooden ladders, lanterns, trays, table ware, and lovely scented candles and diffusers.
- Along with the original hand-painted artworks, custom-made artworks can be designed according to your own preferences of design, size and materials.
#07-06B Tan Boon Liat Building
8113 8030 | gaya-alegria.com
Rooma for rattan and solid wood
Rooma (formerly known as Dwell) is a furniture manufacturer and retailer specialising in rattan and solid wood pieces. Its first showroom opened in 2018 in the Tan Boon Liat Building; today, it occupies three showrooms across more than 7,000 square feet of space!
The store is helmed by Hazlee Suip, who has more than 20 years’ experience in the European furniture trade; that’s why you’ll see glimpses of modern European design in some of Rooma’s furniture pieces. Most of the pieces are designed in-house by Hazlee and his team, to suit a wide range of looks – from shabby chic to modern and Scandi.
Apart from a huge selection in the showrooms, Rooma also specialises in custom furniture; a whole apartment of furniture can be customised according to individual specifications. It also supplies to cafes, hotels and restaurants.
The Rooma team believe that businesses should use better materials so that things not only looks good, but also last longer. The versatility, affordability and low maintenance of rattan make it a very appealing material. And design-wise, it’s timeless.
- The PJ Armchair is Rooma’s version of the classic Pierre Jeanneret/Chandigarh chair – it’s similar but not the same, and available in different wood and rattan variations.
- If you’re tired of an old unnoticed bookshelf that always ends up a corner, the Gracie Cabinet was designed to both stand out and be functional. This fresh take on the bookshelf comes in varying sizes and colours.
- The Sabit Console has a unique shape, with side doors that aren’t just functional but also add an element of design to the entire piece. Small in size but large in storage, it’s ideal for an entryway, or dining or living area.
Tan Boon Liat Building #13-01
9105 6210 | rooma.business.site
Hassan’s Carpets for reams of rugs
As one of Singapore’s oldest leading rug companies, Hassan’s Carpets offers an extensive collection of quality handwoven rugs. From traditional classics and tribals to contemporary designs, all the gallery pieces here are handmade. In the store’s traditional collection, each piece is individually sourced from South Asia, Central Asia, Iran, Turkey or Russia. Alternatively, opt for a rug from the contemporary collection – we love the exclusive in-house creations! There’s a customised service, too, so you can have a rug made in any style, size and colour.
- Looking for something to make a statement? Illuminate your space with an abstract rug from the Celestial Abstracts Collection. They’re like art for the floor!
- Stay simple and minimalist with a customised, handmade rug from the Urban Loom Collection. Boasting luxurious textures and beautiful colour gradients, they’re perfect for Scandinavian-inspired spaces.
- Check out the huge variety of traditional and modern hand-knotted rugs available in the season’s trending colour palettes of blues, greys and green.
Singapore Trading Post for “olde worlde”
A passion for the bygone days of Singapore, age-old charm, and a nod to the style of the 40s and 50s are all at the heart of Singapore Trading Post. The store has a wealth of different products from the old Far East trading routes of India, China, Indonesia and Vietnam. Sourcing direct from the manufacturer, STP has built lasting relationships with businesses that have safe working conditions for their staff and absolutely no child labour.
Having steadily grown from a humble warehouse in Pasir Panjang, STP now has a flagship store in the Tan Boon Liat Building, with a specialised gift outlet in Jelita, too, and a new shophouse store in Joo Chiat. Plus, there’s an extensive online shop offering home delivery. The romantic style of old Singapore is the backbone of store – think plantation chairs, pineapple lamps, classic bar accessories. And there’s a fab Singapore-inspired memento range, too.
- The iconic bar accessory collection; with ice buckets and wine coolers in every size, this will ensure you host the most stylish drinks party on the island!
- Bold and impressive coloured carved mirrors and furniture from Rajasthan.
- Home décor accessories that are carefully curated – and often with a wow factor.
#07-01 Tan Boon Liat Building
8891 9950 | singaporetradingpost.com
Commune for eclectic avenues
One of Singapore’s top lifestyle furniture retailers, Commune offers a wide range of eclectic design-styled pieces from modern contemporary to the mid-century nostalgia. Using premium oak or walnut wood, the pieces feature exquisite workmanship and attention to the finer details. The team strongly believe that no person or the environment should be compromised in providing quality furniture at affordable prices. They also offer specially curated accessories to match their furniture pieces. Keep an eye out for the hand-picked Christmas gifting ideas, too!
- The Volta collection represents what Commune describes as a pivotal and dramatic change in thought or emotion; utilising a union of premium solid walnut and leather, the range showcases the brand’s continuing evolution.
- The Dualtone collection features a matrimony of bright oak and dark walnut, set in mid-century flavours with a tinge of pale brass; the duality of these elements can help to uplift a room.
- The Bruno collection features rustic finished acacia wood laid in a classic herringbone pattern, paired with brass-finished metal – tasteful, sophisticated and elegant.
#11-09 Tan Boon Liat Building
Hommage for Japanese heritage brands
Hommage works with established Japanese brands and furniture makers to deliver quality furniture to customers at an affordable price, without high mark-ups or hidden fees. Japanese furniture has a rich heritage dating back to the seventh century. It’s highlighted by masterful craftsmanship with an understated simplicity distilled from a thousand years of knowledge and careful craftsmanship. Each piece of furniture is handcrafted with pride by skilful artisans.
You can also take advantage of their Japan-Singapore logistic service. Shop at any Japanese online stores, have your orders delivered to their warehouse in Nagoya and they will ship your orders out and deliver them to your doorstep!
- Founded in 1920, Hida Sangyo is among the best recognised furniture maker both in Japan and internationally, having collaborated with renowned designers such as Sori Yanagi, Motomi Kawakami, Enzo Mari and Sebastian Conran, creating award-winning and timeless furniture designs.
- Tendo Mokko was one of the first companies in Japan to use formed plywood to mass-produce good-quality furniture, durable and easy-to-use furniture. The iconic design was the Butterfly Stool, created by Sori Yanagi in 1954.
- Since 1926, the Nihon Bed has been used by the Imperial House, along with many prestigious international hotels in Japan.
- Itakura Wood offers rare and exquisite Japanese wood slabs such as Hinoki, Tochi, Zelkova, Tamo and elm, as well as American walnut, zebra wood and purple-heart in various dimensions.
#08-08 Tan Boon Liat Building
9459 7672 | hommagelifestyle.com
Ritzhouzz for classic beds, sofas and more
Ritzhouzz distributes international mattress brands such as Lady Americana, Kingsdown, Intelli-Sleep and also Comfort Spring, which is manufactured in its own factories in Vietnam and Malaysia. The 600-square-metre showroom houses the latest “Smart” bed technology from the USA, along with reclinable sofas and sleep-enhancing accessories designed and built by Physical Therapy from Thailand.
There’s also a focus here on distributing sofas that incorporate the latest technologies, such as Aquaclean from Spain, and Acacia from Belgium, along with genuine leather from Italy. The store promotes mid- to high-end sofas with customer satisfaction in mind; you can choose to customise according to your preference of design, colour and feel.
Aside from beds and sofas, you’ll find dining tables with table-tops in different materials including marble, quartz, tile and teak, and customisable chairs to match those tables. Ritzhouzz’s goal is to provide flexibility and a “one-stop experience”, so you can satisfy your home décor needs in a way that allows you to save time and money.
- Opt for the Lady Americana range of premium “chiropractor approved” mattresses; or a mattress by Kingsdown, which is among the top bedding producers in North America.
- As a perfect accompaniment to an ultra-comfortable mattress, choose an ergonomic pillow and bolster from Mr Big.
- There are also products in the Intelli-Sleep Therapeutic Sleep System and the Comfort Spring range that are sure to enhance every night’s sleep.
#01-07 Tan Boon Liat Building
6224 0368 (Showroom) | ritzhouzz.com
The Tan Boon Liat Building is at 315 Outram Road.
Get more furniture and décor inspiration in our Home section: