If you’re in need of a one-stop furniture hub in Singapore, the Tan Boon Liat Building at Outram is the place to go. Modest and unassuming on the outside, the building holds a treasure trove of furnishing styles from Asian, vintage to Scandinavian or contemporary. If unique is what you’re after, you’ll find everything you need – dining room sets, sofas, coffee tables, mattresses and even the odd tribal rug. Here’s our list of go-to stores.
Since opening in 1995, Journey East has gained a reputation for its wonderful teak wood furniture and Southeast Asian vintage pieces. Vintage collectors will love the restored pieces, which are specially hand-picked in Java. If you’re in for something more contemporary, the store also carries industrial and modern furniture, plus accessories and gifts. With more than 10 internationally renowned brands in store, you’re sure to find something suitable for your home. We especially like the casual and bright pieces from the Southeast Asia-inspired collection PLAYplay, for injecting some fun and playfulness into a space. You’ll be glad to know, too, that about 90% of the products are eco-friendly and made from sustainable sources including reclaimed wood and recycled iron.
- Looking for a dining set? Made from lovely teak wood, the hardy d-Bodhi Celebes dining table and bench exudes rustic charm.
- Functional and made from natural North American oak, the District Eight Distrikt Bed comes with a handy bedside table.
- For a one-of-a-kind piece, opt for a classy restored number from the store’s vintage collection.
Offering hand-picked pieces at great prices for over 18 years, FairPrice Antique carries Chinese antique and vintage furniture, art and accessories. Expect to find hand-painted Chinese cabinets, elegant side boards, classy chests, ceramic stools and foo dogs, plus stylish cabinets and shelves to meet your aesthetic and storage needs. The store has built strong relationships with its small pool of artisans in Northern China, resulting in quality and authentic pieces that are actually affordable. There’s a new shipment every three months, too, which means a growing collection with plenty of choice
- The store features works by both expat and local artists, including Louise Hill and Deborah McKellar. Look out for new additions such as the Singapore-inspired works of multi-media artist Fiona Hollis Carney from London and British contemporary artist Clare Haxby. This collaboration is in line with the store’s goal of supporting expat-owned business and artists.
- Visiting a friend’s home or attending a birthday dinner? Consider picking up a small and unique gift item.
Well-known for its wood furnishings, Ethnicraft Online offers contemporary teak and oak pieces boasting functionality and aesthetic appeal. The teak range is crafted using sustainably harvested wood that has been recycled or FSC-certified, while the oak range is equally modern and environmentally friendly. Other collections include the playful Universo Positivo series, the vintage-inspired Mr Marius series, the handcrafted Notre Monde series; and, not forgetting the latest addition, the Cane-line collection. Customers can enjoy complimentary delivery, one-for-one disposal of items, and a lifetime warranty.
- Looking to invite the family over for Christmas? The Oak Slice Extendable Dining Table comes in three sizes, comfortably seating eight to 10 and 10 to 12 people when extended.
- Mix things up and pair your wooden table with some Cane-line woven chairs. Choose from a range of four models, consisting of those suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- Pick up some beautiful handmade Notre Monde trays to complete the look; choose from a selection of designs, from simple neutral tones to intricate Moroccan patterns.
The Past Perfect Collection
In love with the British colonial look? Come by The Past Perfect Collection, a stylish antique store in the building where you can pick up some classic pieces for your home. The store carries a wide array of classy antique furniture dating back to colonial times in India, capturing the essence of the British colonial style. Every two months, the store brings in hand-selected furniture, and it also specialises in antique boxes ranging from jewellery boxes to trinket and writing boxes. Each piece is beautifully hand-carved and features intricate inlay work. Also check out the lovely silver gift collection from Jaipur that includes items such as photo frames and candlesticks.
- Feast your eyes on the exquisite range of 19th century jewellery boxes, dressing cases, writing boxes and beautifully ornamented chests that originate from colonial India.
- After dining tables and cupboards, a favourite is the classic planter’s chair with its seat and back made out of cool open-weave cane.
- Impress your dinner guests with Good Earth dinnerware, which is known for its exclusive and tropical designs.
The diverse collections of interior styling firm Arete Culture are spread across two retail showrooms: the main lifestyle showroom is a one-stop shop with furniture, textiles, home accessories and lighting solutions, while a dedicated outdoor living showroom – located just three doors down – offers outdoor furniture and accessories. Choose from an extensive selection of styles or explore the Bespoke Boutique Collection, an in-house line of made-to-order furniture. New stock arrives every two weeks and limited pieces are sourced globally. Need help putting your dream home together? Just turn to the store’s signature styling services to get your dream look.
- Get your hands on original artwork and prints by international designers and the in-house Luxe Hotel Collection; choose from contemporary mixed media prints to watercolour and oil paintings.
- Choose a lamp for your home and have its shade upholstered to your liking.
- The Bespoke Boutique Collection is also popular, offering everything from large items like bed frames and dining tables to accessories like mirrors and valet stands.
Since 2011, Mountain Teak has been housing skilfully crafted and eco-friendly wood furniture. Be sure to explore the range of solid wood furniture from Italian brand Karpenter made from sustainably managed timber and traditional craftsmanship. Also check out Wendelbo, a modern Danish sofa brand that’s been around for more than 60 years. For something rustic, explore the Mountain collection; it features teak pieces with rich and natural colours. You’ll be pleased to find a range of styles – from contemporary to mid-century pieces. Aligned with their philosophy of minimising expense to the environment, selected collections from Karpenter are made from FSC-certified reclaimed teak that uses coating that’s free of VOCs (volatile organic compounds), posing no harm to health.
- Add some elegance with the Brooklyn French Touch collection from Karpenter. Pieces in this new collection are made out of 100% FSC-certified reclaimed mixed hardwood and finished with French polish.
- Or, opt for something from the sofa collection, with its clean lines, variety of quality fabrics and fully removable covers.
As a firm believer in individuality, Artful House sources its pieces from all across South and Southeast Asia and restores them using age-old wood-working skills and hand craftsmanship. With a passion for invention, the team then creatively transforms these architectural and vintage finds, such as antique doors, window frames and carvings, into one-of-a-kind furniture items. The store carries a range of furniture including consoles, tables, cabinets, mirrors and more, so you’ll be able to find a piece to jazz up every room, whether it’s a stunning vintage find or a piece of recycled wood furniture in vibrant colours.
- Those looking to add some oriental flair can opt for a fabric accent chair, which focuses on Asian design inspirations while retaining a contemporary western aesthetic. Indonesian ikat, Chinoiserie prints and oriental floral and paisley patterns are the show-stoppers in this range.
- Other popular items in-store include mirrors and consoles made from antique doors and window arches.
You won’t need to look further than dormiente for a mattress that offers comfier and healthier sleep. The bedding specialist carries organic natural latex mattresses for adults, children and babies. Handcrafted in Germany using natural and organic materials, each product is tested for harmful chemicals. Suffer from chronic back pain? The store’s Natural Classic Orthoform female and male mattresses are recommended by the Association of Back Posture Trainers, and can help with the regeneration of your spine. You can even select different mattress firmness for you and your partner. There are over 50 custom-crafted toxic-free bed frames – all made from FSC-certified European hardwoods – to choose from, and bases are adjustable for greater orthopaedic benefits.
- The elegant Nera bed is treated with natural plant oils and comes in a variety of solid woods.
- The Ergo Natura Z Motor Disc Frame is a motorised bed base that enables excellent body contouring.
- While you’re there, choose mattress covers made of organic cotton or pure wool.
Specialising in solid recycled teak wood furniture, Golden Teak offers a variety of furniture for the living and dining rooms, bedrooms, studies and outdoor spaces. You can explore the store’s extensive range of styles for any home, including contemporary, Scandinavian, industrial-chic, minimalist and even retro. Sourced from and manufactured in Indonesia, all the products undergo strict quality control. This family-run shop also provides bespoke services, so if you’re looking for a one-off or have something specific in mind, they’ll customise an item for you in your preferred finish, colour and design, at no additional charge.
- Looking for a storage solution? One great idea is an industrial-style wrought-iron rack with recycled teak shelves – simple, understated and ideal for any home.
- Made of recycled boat wood with a white-wash finish, there’s loads of space in the elegant chest of nine drawers.
- Inspired by antique window shutters and made of solid teak, the Scandinavian slant chest of three drawers is another great addition.
As one of Singapore’s oldest leading rug companies, Hassan’s Carpets offers an extensive collection of quality handwoven rugs. From traditional classics and tribals to contemporary designs, all their gallery pieces are hand-made. As for their traditional collection, each piece is individually sourced from South Asia, Central Asia, Iran, Turkey or Russia. Opt for a rug from the contemporary collection which boasts the latest in designs as well as some exclusive in-house creations. Or if you have something special in mind, opt for the custom-made services that can make you a rug in any design, size and colour.
- Keep an eye out for good deals in the ongoing clearance stack. There are over 100 past season rugs going at discounts of up to 70% off and prices as low as $450.
- For a mix of the old and the new, look out for new designs in the Erased Traditions series, where traditional Persian designs are given a modern edge. These designs perfectly combine the rustic charm of the old and traditional antiques with a contemporary look.
- Also, check out new decorative designs from the upcoming Abstract Textures Collection that takes inspiration from abstract canvas art.
Like what you see? Get more furniture and decor inspiration at our Homes section.