If you’re in need of a one-stop furniture and accessories hub in Singapore, the Tan Boon Liat Building at Outram is the place to go. Modest and unassuming on the outside, the building holds all types of furniture shops. From Asian antiques and vintage to Scandinavian contemporary furniture styles, there really is everything under one roof. If you’re setting up home or just replacing a few things, here are our some of the best stores to visit for dining room sets, sofas, coffee tables, mattresses, soft furnishing, carpets, ornaments and even art for your walls.
Journey East for vintage delights
Vintage collectors will love the restored pieces of furniture hand-picked from Java. Are you’re looking for something more contemporary? The store also carries industrial and modern furniture, gifts and accessories. We especially like the casual and bright pieces from PLAYplay so you can to inject some fun into your space! Over 90 percent of the products are also eco-friendly. Journey East also sustainably sources reclaimed wood and recycled iron.
- For a one-of-a-kind piece, opt for a classy restored number from the store’s vintage collection.
- Check out the dining sets made from lovely teak, like the hardy d-Bodhi Celebes dining table and rustic bench.
- Functional and made from natural North American oak, the District Eight Distrikt Bed comes with a handy bedside table.
Mountain Living for eco-friendly
Mountain Living (previously known as Mountain Teak),offers contemporary eco-friendly designer wooden furniture and sofa brands from Europe. The store’s huge product range consists of furniture for every room: dining tables, chairs, bed frames, cabinets, bookshelves, sofas and 100 percent natural Italian latex mattress. Plus, Mountain Living have been in the market for close to a decade, with branches in Taiwan and Shanghai! Most of the wooden furniture is made of solid teak, walnut and oak. Instead of using lacquer, Mountain Living’s furniture uses a water-based coating so the pieces are natural, safe and environmentally friendly.
- SquareRoots is a British brand known for its live edge tables. The oak wood used in the tables is from Burgundy and is usually 100 to 120 years old!
- Check out the Karpenter range; it uses only 100 percent solid wood and premium vegetable-tanned leathers, and with designs for every room in your home.
#07-02 Tan Boon Liat Building
6224 7176 | mountainteak.com
The Past Perfect Collection for authentic colonial
Love colonial-style furniture? Visit The Past Perfect Collection and get transported back in time. Gorgeous antique furniture pieces, restored to their former glory through exquisite polishing and fresh upholstery, fill the store. Think of romantic four-poster beds, handsome rosewood cabinets and sturdy travelling chests with heavy brass locks. You can also pick up silverware from Jaipur such as candlesticks and photo-frames that definitely make perfect gifts. The elegant tableware from Good Earth will add a sophisticated touch to any table setting.
- What about getting the colonial look with cane furniture such as planter’s chairs, daybeds and sofas? They’re perfect for the Singapore weather and great for enjoying a gin and tonic on!
- Large travel chests are a perennial favourite – in particular, Dutch colonial chests, which are sturdy as well as elegant. With ornate brass locks and large brass keys, they offer practicality and style all in one.
- Stylish accessories including antique maps, decorative silver and Good Earth tableware. They’re wonderful gifts., or buy them for yourself to add a finishing touch to your interior.
Dormiente for bedroom bliss
If you’re looking for a safe and pure organic natural latex mattress for babies and children or an orthopaedic back-care mattress for adults, pop in and see Dormiente. Made with organic latex, organic cotton, handcrafted in Germany and tested free of 200 types of harmful chemicals, they’re perfect for allergy sufferers.
With 50 different, custom-crafted, toxic-free bed frames, made from FSC-certified sustainable European hardwoods and nine types of adjustable bed slats, you’ll be sleeping soundly in no time. You can even book an appointment for a trial consultation to experience the different ranges. Relax and take a power nap during the one-hour sleep trial!
- Dormiente’s best-selling Natural Classic Orthoform Female and Male Mattress has been recommended by the German Association of Back Posture Trainers as it can help with the regeneration of the spine.
- Enjoy comfortable sleep with an ergonomically designed, adjustable slatted bed base like the Ergo Natura Z Disc Frame and Physioform S.
- The Beluga Bed is handcrafted in Germany using sustainably grown FSC-certified European wood.
Emperor’s Attic for affordable artisan furniture
With nearly 20 years of history in Singapore, Emperor’s Attic (formerly FairPrice Antique) carries Chinese antique, vintage and new furniture, art and accessories. Expect to find colourful hand-painted cabinets, elegant sideboards, classy chests, ceramic stools and foo dogs. All selected for looks and storage needs. Sourced from dedicated artisans in Northern China, these are quality, authentic pieces. There’s always something new to check out as a fresh shipment arrives every few months.
- Looking for a new mattress? Visit Emperor’s Attic to try a comfy and luxurious Willow Mattress made from European-certified 100 percent natural latex.
- Emperor’s Attic supports local and expat artists such as Louise Hill, Deborah McKellar and Diana Francis. The store also carries work by John J Mathis, a deeply talented artist new to the scene in Singapore.
- See the excellent gift ideas across all price ranges, shapes and sizes – from décor items such as handmade ceramics and silk tassels to hand-crafted candles and diffusers by Temple.
Soul & Tables for contemporary collections
Known for its multi-brand collections, Soul & Tables (formerly Ethnicraft Online) offers a wide selection of stylish furniture and accessories, including contemporary teak and oak pieces. The teak range is also crafted using FSC-certified, sustainably harvested wood. The oak range is equally modern and environmentally friendly. Pick up handcrafted trays and tables from the Notre Monde collection or the latest decorative cushion covers by Mae Woven, handmade using a globally-sourced fabric called African mud cloth. Traditionally from Mali, mud cloth is made from cotton, and dyed using traditional methods. All the Mae Woven cushion covers are hand-woven and hand-printed in Africa by local artisans. Also, all products in-store also come with complimentary delivery, lifetime warranty and maintenance services. There is also a free 30-day return and one-for-one disposal of items.
- Woven+ is an in- and outdoor furniture that combines high-quality material. Resin, rope, aluminium and teak are combined with exceptional craftsmanship and gorgeous designs. Every piece has even been built to withstand weather conditions but still keep its stylish and soft natural tones.
- Brilliantly mixing original coloured natural oak with black painted oak, the Blackbird collection delivers timeless, natural charm. The latest addition to the collection is the Oak Blackbird Rack, made from solid oak, with a black-tainted oak frame and black metal legs.
Grey and Sanders for minimalistic and industrial
Grey and Sanders carry a wide range of furniture notable for its fine workmanship and the high-quality materials. The store’s dining tables, for example, are made from prized American black walnut wood. With a collection of over 150 wooden slabs of various lengths, you will definitely be spoilt for choice. Pair your dining table with a sleek wooden bench or a range of chairs to create a unique dining setting. Additionally, Grey and Sanders offers a wide range of both fabric and leather sofas and open-concept wardrobes. Ask about the new extended range of durable yet gorgeous furniture made of acacia and oak wood.
- The Portage Sofa is customised to fit your interior style with a vast selection of leather originating from Brazil, Italy and Germany. Its backrest is filled with down feathers, which makes it extra soft. The Portage combines both elegance and comfort.
- The Ohio collection boasts furniture crafted from exotic aged oak wood. Aged oak has a rich and luxurious look when paired with the modern Y-shaped metal legwork. The Ohio TV console features a timeless look with clean lines and industrial elements.
Artful House for hand crafted furniture
Artful House sources and creatively transforms beautiful Indian vintage doors, window frames and carvings into consoles, tables, sideboards, mirrors and more. The store’s pieces are truly one of a kind. Shoppers praise the exquisite aesthetics and fine craftsmanship of the store’s furniture. The vintage and recycled-wood pieces are complemented by the upholstered accent chairs in a selection of vibrant prints and colours.
- Have a look at the handcrafted cabinets and mirrors constructed from door and window parts. Truly artisanal!
- Add some style to your living space with an upholstered accent chair. Materials include Indonesian ikat, Chinoiserie prints and other contemporary oriental patterns.
Arete Culture for designer interiors
The diverse collections of interior styling firm Arete Culture spread across two retail showrooms. The main showroom is a one-stop lifestyle shop – furniture, textiles, home accessories and lighting. The dedicated Outdoor Living showroom is now located at the new Atelier by Arete showroom (10 minutes by car from the Tan Boon Liat Building).
Choose from an extensive selection of styles or explore the Bespoke Boutique Collection, an in-house line of made-to-order furniture. New stock arrives every two weeks with globally sourced and limited-edition pieces. Need help putting your dream home together? Just turn to the store’s signature styling services to get your dream look.
- There are extensive collections of cushion covers and table accessories, including photo frames, vases, storage boxes, ceramics, and more!
- Oversized mirrors and customisable furniture include customisable headboards, dining table sets, sofas, coffee tables and sideboards. All items can be available in three to four weeks.
Vitra for designer Swiss designs
Located in a large, 400-square-metre bright space on the 14th floor of the Tan Boon Liat Building is Swiss brand Vitra. It’s known for furniture classics by Verner Panton or Jean Prouvé, as well as contemporary designs by Ronan and Eric Bouroullec, Hella Jongerius, Jasper Morrison and Konstantin Grcic.
Check out the different settings that showcase the store’s furniture – from living, dining and home office to formal and informal office systems.
Vitra believes that home and office environments should be made up of a “collage” of old and new, high and low, classic and contemporary. And you can certainly achieve that shopping at Vitra, where classic designs from the 20th century and key modern contemporary pieces are in store.
- A result of a long-standing collaboration between Vitra and designer Antonio Citterio, the Grand Relax is a compact, luxurious reclining lounge chair. Exceptional comfort comes from its soft, feather and foam-filled cushions, ideal for sinking into. The seat and backrest even move independently to adapt to your body.
#14-08 Tan Boon Liat Building
Fritz Hansen for Danish design
If you prefer clean, pure lines and high-quality craftsmanship of mid-century Danish furniture then head to Danish brand, Fritz Hansen.
Fritz Hansen was founded in Denmark in 1872 with the mission to craft beautiful, timeless design without compromising comfort. The company believes that a single piece of furniture can revamp an entire room or building – and then influence the minds of the people living or working in that space.
With iconic designs such as The Egg and Swan Chair, eagle-eyed design aficionados can come, hang out and relax in the new lifestyle-centric space.
- The new JH97 lounge chair by Jaime Hayon was launched at Milan Design Week 2019. It’s now available in-store for viewing, seat testing and purchase.
#13-08 Tan Boon Liat Building
6637 9602 | watelier.com/living/fritz-hansen
Golden Teak for recycled teak
Specialising in bespoke and ready-made solid recycled teak furniture, Golden Teak offers a variety of furnishing for your living room, dining room, bedroom, study or outdoor space. Sourced from and manufactured in Indonesia, all the store’s products undergo strict quality control processes. If you have something specific in mind, get the team to do up a bespoke creation at no additional charge. With years of experience in woodwork, the family-run store has the skills and materials to create anything from full-length bookshelves to solid teak countertops.
- Sleek and clean, the zig-zag room divider looks different from every angle and is great for making a private space from prying eyes.
- Inspired by stacked modular boxes, the stackers shelf is a great place to display your knickknacks.
- It’s no surprise that the store’s live-edge teak tables are among its most popular tables on offer. They’re a showcase of natural beauty and the perfect statement piece.
Hassan’s Carpets for reams of rugs
- Looking for something to make a statement? Illuminate your space with an abstract rug from our Celestial Abstracts Collection. They’re like art for the floor!
- Stay simple and minimalist with a customised, handmade rug from the Urban Loom Collection. Boasting luxurious textures and beautiful colour gradients – perfect for Scandinavian-inspired spaces.
- Check out the huge variety of traditional and modern hand-knotted rugs. They’re available in this season’s trending colour palettes of blues, greys and green.
Get more furniture and décor inspiration in our Home section: