If you’re in need of a one-stop furniture and accessories hub in Singapore, the Tan Boon Liat Building at Outram is the place to go. Modest and unassuming on the outside, the building holds a treasure trove of furnishing styles from Asian, vintage to Scandinavian or contemporary. If unique is what you’re after, you’ll find everything you need – dining room sets, sofas, coffee tables, mattresses and even art for your walls. Here’s our list of go-to stores.
The Past Perfect Collection
Love colonial-style furniture? Visit The Past Perfect Collection and you’ll be transported back in time. The store is filled with gorgeous top-quality antique furniture that have been restored to their former glory with exquisite polishing and fresh upholstery. Think of romantic four poster beds, handsome rosewood cabinets and sturdy travelling chests with heavy brass locks and you will begin to understand what the store has to offer. There’s also selected silverware from Jaipur such as candlesticks and photo-frames – the perfect gifts – while elegant tableware from Good Earth will add a sophisticated touch to any table setting.
- Antique desks are consistently in demand, for the office or home study. Next in popularity are the dining tables as they never go out of style.
- Caned furniture such as planter’s chairs, daybeds and sofas are perfect for Singapore weather and are great for enjoying a gin and tonic on.
- Stylish accessories including antique maps, decorative silver and Good Earth tableware make wonderful gifts and add a finishing touch to any interior.
Known for its multi-brand collections, Ethnicraft Online offers a wide selection of stylish furniture and accessories, including contemporary teak and oak pieces. The teak range is crafted using sustainably harvested wood that is FSC-certified, while the oak range is equally modern and environmentally friendly. Pick up one-of-a-kind handcrafted trays and accent tables from the Notre Monde collection or beautiful handwoven dhurrie rugs from The Grey House. It’s also worth noting that all the products in store come with complimentary delivery, lifetime warranty and maintenance services, free 30-day return and one-for-one disposal of items.
- The new Padded Woven Sofa combines versatility with contemporary style. This comfy piece is designed to allow owners to customise their ideal L-shaped sofa configuration.
- The store has recently added Fermob outdoor furniture from France to its offerings. From bistro chairs and poolside lounge sets to lamps and accessories, the new range comes in 24 colours.
- The Teak Tabwa range from the store’s premium teak collection, Ancestors Collection, features hand-carved pieces with intricate details inspired by the Tabwa culture of Central Africa.
Ipse Ipsa Ipsum
Launched in Singapore in 2016, Ipse Ipsa Ipsum works with local and international designers to offer handcrafted functional furnishings for the home. Visit the retail space to view the pieces and get handy advice from the creative team. They can also help you customise your perfect piece, from the type of leather or fabric to the finishes of the surfaces – all within three months. Head to the materials library and check out the different ways you can use leather, semi-precious stones and more. In collaboration with the Peranakan Museum, the store has also launched an exclusive collection of elegant Peranakan-inspired furniture and accessories.
- Add a little something to your living space with the Stellar Console, which comes with a marble top, and is customisable in stainless steel or brass.
- The elegant Palm Tree Floor Lamp that comes in a brass finish was featured in recent film release, Crazy Rich Asians.
- The store’s Marine Lanterns are made to last; they come in durable stainless steel and would work perfectly outdoors or indoors.
With 18 years in the business in Singapore, Emperor’s Attic (formerly FairPrice Antique) carries Chinese antique, vintage and new furniture, art and accessories. Expect to find hand-painted cabinets, elegant sideboards, classy chests, ceramic stools and foo dogs, plus stylish cabinets and shelves to meet your aesthetic and storage needs. Sourced from dedicated artisans in Northern China, these are quality, authentic pieces. There’s always something new to check out as a fresh shipment arrives every three months. The store now also carries Willow Mattress, a comfortable European-certified 100% natural latex mattress that comes in various sizes.
- Looking for a new mattress? Try a comfy and luxurious Willow Mattress made from European-certified 100% natural latex.
- Supporting local and expat artists such as Louise Hill, Clare Haxby and Deborah McKellar, Emperor’s Attic also exclusively carries items by Diana Francis, an award-winning British artist who has lived and worked in Singapore for the past 20 years.
- Décor items such as handmade ceramics and hand-crafted candles and diffusers by Temple make great gifts.
Grey and Sanders
Carrying minimalist, made-to-order furniture, Grey and Sanders boasts trendy pieces made from quality materials such as Italian full aniline leather and American Black Walnut wood. For your dining table, choose from over 150 wooden slabs of various lengths, from French chestnut and oak to Burmese teak, and complement it with a sleek wooden bench. There are also comfy sofas, armchairs and shelves, and a new extended range of durable, stain-resistant and easy-to-clean Acacia and YarnPro fabrics for sofas. The majority of the store’s furniture can be customised to fit your living space.
- Show off your fashion wares with a Mila open-concept wardrobe; choose from either oak or walnut. A new corner unit has been added to the collection for a better fit.
- The durable full grain Reilly leather sofa comes in one- to three-seat configurations, and its comfy high-density foam cushions (wrapped with duck feathers) offer great support.
- You can customise live-edge and straight-edge wooden tables from over 150 slabs of quality wood in store, many boasting beautiful natural grains.
The diverse collections of interior styling firm Arete Culture are spread across two retail showrooms: the main lifestyle showroom is a one-stop shop with furniture, textiles, home accessories and lighting solutions, while a dedicated outdoor living showroom – located just three doors down – offers outdoor furniture and accessories. Choose from an extensive selection of styles or explore the Bespoke Boutique Collection, an in-house line of made-to-order furniture. New stock arrives every two weeks and limited pieces are sourced globally. Need help putting your dream home together? Just turn to the store’s signature styling services to get your dream look.
- Browse the lighting collection including outdoor hurricane lanterns, statement chandeliers, table lamps and floor lamps.
- The Bespoke Boutique Collection is great for customisable headboards, dining table sets, coffee tables and consoles; all items can be available in three weeks.
- Pick up rugs, cushion covers, throws, and even wallpaper in the store’s textile collection.
Since opening in 1995, Journey East has gained a reputation for its wonderful teak wood furniture and Southeast Asian vintage pieces. Vintage collectors will love the restored pieces, which are specially hand-picked in Java. If you’re in for something more contemporary, the store also carries industrial and modern furniture, plus accessories and gifts. With more than 10 internationally renowned brands in store, you’re sure to find something suitable for your home. We especially like the casual and bright pieces from the Southeast Asia-inspired collection PLAYplay, for injecting some fun and playfulness into a space. You’ll be glad to know, too, that about 90% of the products are eco-friendly and made from sustainable sources including reclaimed wood and recycled iron.
- Looking for a dining set? Made from lovely teak wood, the hardy d-Bodhi Celebes dining table and bench exudes rustic charm.
- Functional and made from natural North American oak, the District Eight Distrikt Bed comes with a handy bedside table.
- For a one-of-a-kind piece, opt for a classy restored number from the store’s vintage collection.
As one of Singapore’s oldest leading rug companies, Hassan’s Carpets offers an extensive collection of quality handwoven rugs. From traditional classics and tribals to contemporary designs, all the gallery pieces here are hand-made. In the store’s traditional collection, each piece is individually sourced from South Asia, Central Asia, Iran, Turkey or Russia. Or, you could opt for a rug from the contemporary collection, which boasts the latest in designs and some exclusive in-house creations. There’s a custom-made service, too, so you can have a rug made in any style, size and colour.
- Stay simple and minimalist with a handmade rug from the Urban Loom Collection, boasting luxurious textures and beautiful colour gradients – perfect for Scandinavian-inspired spaces.
- Traditions Redefined comprises stylish woven rugs that recontextualise traditional Persian ornamentation through modern abstraction. With a modern colour palette, these versatile pieces are a good fit for most interiors.
- Woven in the Qashqai regions of Iran and made of soft plush wool, the store’s vibrant Persian gabbehs come in playful designs.
Artful House sources beautiful Indian vintage doors, window frames and carvings. These are then creatively transformed into one-of-a-kind pieces including consoles, tables, sideboards, mirrors and more. The store’s furniture are valued for their exquisite aesthetics and fine craftsmanship. The vintage and recycled-wood furniture items are complemented by a range of upholstered accent chairs available in a selection of vibrant prints and solid colours.
- Beautiful mirrors and consoles made from door and window arches are especially popular among Artful House customers for their intricate details.
- Pick up a vibrantly coloured recycled wood glass cabinet. These are good not only for storage but are also great for displaying your china, books and other knick knacks.
- Add some style to your living space with an accent chair upholstered with Indonesian ikat, Chinoiserie prints or other oriental and floral designs.
Carrying a wide selection of artwork from across the globe, LivingwithArt Singapore offers a variety of styles, from nature and landscapes to abstract and contemporary. Besides canvas works, you also find sculptures and glass art. Plus, if you’ve got something special in mind, you can get the team to customise a piece in your preferred colour, theme, size and style. The store recently expanded its showroom and has a new fine art section featuring emerging Asian artists and Singapore stamps.
- Measuring 1m by 1m, Koi Fishes in Dreamland by Wang Miao is a vibrant watercolour piece that will add some pop to your living space.
- Wang Miao has a second koi-themed painting, Koi Fishes in Dreamland 2 (also 1m by 1m), featuring beautiful and intricate details of the fish.
- With traditional bird cages as its subject, Cages (1.3m by 1.3) by Key features a sunny yellow background.
At dormiente, you can browse an extensive range of organic natural latex mattresses for babies and children and orthopaedic back care mattresses for adults. Handcrafted in Germany using natural and organic materials, each product is tested for harmful chemicals for healthy sleep. Pair your new mattress with pillows, duvets and mattress covers, and protectors that work well for those with allergies. The bed specialist also carries over 50 custom-crafted toxic-free bed frames made from FSC-certified European hardwoods, with bases that are adjustable for greater orthopaedic benefits according to your weight profile, sleeping position and preference.
- The best-selling Natural Classic Orthoform Female and Male Mattress is recommended by the German Association of Back Posture Trainers and can help with the regeneration of the spine.
- Enjoy comfortable sleep with an ergonomically designed, adjustable slatted bed base such as those from Ergo Natura Z Disc Frame and Physioform S. They can be adjusted for firmness or height in the lower back area.
- The Kelo Bed is handcrafted in Germany using sustainably grown FSC-certified European wood.
Specialising in bespoke and ready-made solid recycled teak furniture, Golden Teak offers a variety of furnishing for your living room, dining room, bedroom, study or outdoor space. Sourced from and manufactured in Indonesia, all the store’s products undergo strict quality control processes. If you have something specific in mind, get the team to do up a bespoke creation at no additional charge. With years of experience in woodwork, the family-run store has the skills and materials to create anything from full-length bookshelves to solid teak countertops. In November 2018, Golden Teak will be expanding its collection to include a range of readymade sofas and bed frames with customisation options in their new second showroom on the 14th floor (#14-03).
- Sleek and clean, the zig-zag room divider looks different from every angle and is great for shielding a more private space from prying eyes.
- Inspired by stacked modular boxes, the stackers shelf is a great place to displaying your knickknacks.
- It’s no surprise that the store’s live-edge teak tables are among its most popular tables on offer. They’re a showcase of natural beauty, and the perfect statement piece.
Get more furniture and décor inspiration at our Homes section: