If you love salmon but are running out of ideas of how to cook with it, here’s a new fish recipe from Sasha’s Fine Foods. “This contemporary twist on a classic dish makes for an impressive centrepiece at dinner parties and is much easier to prepare than its name suggests. The winning combination of beetroot and fresh salmon creates an incredibly fresh flavour.” – Sasha Conlan
• 600g Mount Cook Alpine New Zealand salmon, whole side skinned
• 200ml tub crème fraîche
• 2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
• 1 pack fresh dill, chopped
• 75g boiled red baby beetroots, drained
• 375g puff pastry
• 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, gas mark 6. Pat the salmon dry with kitchen paper and set aside. Mix together the crème fraîche, horseradish and dill, and season to taste. Pat the beetroot dry with kitchen paper, then chop roughly.
2. Unroll the pastry and place the salmon in the centre. Spread three-quarters of the crème fraîche mixture over the top of the salmon, then scatter the beetroot evenly on the top.
3. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg yolk, then bring the long edges together in the middle, tucking in the ends as you go. Press the edges together tightly to seal and pinch all the way along the join, using thumb and finger, for a decorative finish. Brush the pastry all over with more egg yolk.
4. Place on a greased baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
5. Allow to stand for five minutes, then cut into thick slices.
Tip: Serve with buttered potatoes, red grape tomatoes, lightly steamed green beans and a spoonful of the remaining crème fraîche sauce
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
Like this? Read more in our Wine and Dine section!
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.