Being able to have a barbecue at any time of year in Singapore is probably up there in the top seven things about being an expat. Just after having a pool and before having most of your pals half a mile away. It’s important, therefore, to be able to nip to a high quality butcher in the neighbourhood for the Sunday afternoon ‘meat run’. Whether you’ve nabbed the condo BBQ pit, are hosting a roast or simply planning your meals for the week ahead, it’s really worth spending a bit more on a trustworthy slab – generally freshly shipped over from overseas.
Known for its wide range of quality meats, generous selection of gourmet cheeses, as well as pantry staples like pastas and condiments, this family-run shop is a familiar favourite for meat lovers. More than 90 percent of their meat products (over 100 varieties) are growth-hormone free. On the homepage you’ll see well-organised meat categories – beef, veal, lamb, pork, poultry and sausages – that make navigation and shopping a breeze. Got a last minute crowd to entertain? Order before 12pm to receive your goods the next working day! For home delivery orders, all meats are all vacuum packed and transported by temperature-controlled trucks, so there’s no compromising on freshness or quality. There’s also an on-site dry ageing cabinet, which allows for customisation! And if you prefer to visit the store, be sure to stop by for a chat with one of the butchers behind the counter for inside tips and tricks to preparing your meats the best way possible.
Free delivery for orders above $75!
Sasha’s Fine Foods
Previously known as The Barbie Girls, this one-stop online grocer is popular for its extensive range of quality meats, ethically-sourced seafood and artisanal snacks since launching in 2011. Throwing a big family feast? Kid-friendly picks include the fresh, skinless Mt. Cook Alpine New Zealand Salmon Portions ($25.50, 300g), as well as Irish ice-cream business Nobó’s guilt-free creations. All their meat, seafood and products are sourced by founder Sasha Conlan and offer full traceability. New on the shelves are local bakery Simply Breads’ fresh loaves, Chestnut Grove Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Western Australia’s Southern Forests, as well as Primrose’s Kitchen’s granolas.
Orders above $200 get free delivery, while orders above $250 get free same day delivery!
With a “no nasties” ethos, it’s all about unadulterated, sustainable food here. While not all offerings are certified organic, you can be sure they’re all free of additives – meaning no growth enhancers, antibiotics or metals. All the red meat is grass-fed, the poultry is free-roaming and the seafood is sustainably harvested with low impact on the environment. Founder and owner Rebecca Forwood deals directly with all farmers, ensuring the brand meets her non-negotiable criteria of ethically grown products by way of animal welfare, and no chemicals or genetic modification throughout the supply chain. Offering everything from PureBlack Angus beef from Australia, certified free-range Australian pork and organic lamb sausages, to Akaroa New Zealand salmon, Shark Bay wild-caught prawns, and wild-caught New Zealand snapper and cod, this place has something to suit any taste.
Free delivery for orders above $180!
- A great spread for all your meaty needs
- A handy selection of ready meals like chicken parmigiano, kebabs and filet mignon
- Online shopping with home delivery (three time brackets, plus next day options) – free if you buy over $100 of meat
- Meat pies and condiments also available to munch on
- Voted by Expat Living readers ‘Best Butcher’ in 2011
- Free home delivery for orders over $75
- Air-flown fresher than fresh meats in all sorts of exotic varieties
- Six types of beef, with cured and air-dried varieties
- Cheese and other groceries also in store
Meat the Butcher
- Handy packages for roasts or barbecues put together daily
- Free home delivery if you spend over $150
- Promotion: Order when it rains and get five per cent off
- We’re not sure exactly how, but they sell extremely popular welsh lamb
- Cheese, cold cuts and condiments also on offer
615 Bukit Timah Road
Foodie Market Place
- Great quality Australian steak, lamb and pork for a surprisingly awesome price
- Buy in bulk and freeze your goodies for maximum money saving
- Frozen fish and snacks, such as wedges, in bulk for much less than you’ll find in the supermarket
- Get in early on the day, as they sell out of the best stuff quickly
225 Outram Rd
The Butcher’s Dog
- Meat imported from farms in Australia and New Zealand
- An assortment of beef, lamb, chicken and pork
- Free delivery with purchase of over $120 and can be delivered the next day
- Snazzy little recipes for their meats available online to give you a hand
1 Kim Seng Promenade,
Great World City #B2-11/12
- First butchers to cater to the Western expats in Singapore, back in the 1970s
- You’ve probably tried ‘em already – they supply meat to a range restaurants and pubs
- Home delivery services available
- Barbeque lists, marinated goodness, Aussie beef sausages, seafood and South Australian wine are among their specialties
32 Siglap Drive
Other spots on the island…
- Halal meat
- They stock a selection of Korean and Western food products
- You’ll probably find their prices lower than most gourmet stores
- US meats available
122 Upper Bukit Timah Road
- Located in more FairPrice shops, such as Bukit Timah Plaza, Century Square, Marine Parade, and TripleOne Somerset
- Roasts, gourmet burgers, hand-made sausage, plus pre-cooked ready-to-eat items
- Weekly specials list available online
Located within some FairPrice Finest stores
Dean and Deluca
- These guys offer premium meat products
- Cheeses, wines, and herbs available if you’re stocking up for a dinner party
- Small café for snacks and lunch. How pleasant.
Orchard Central Mall, Level 4, Orchard Road
ZAC Butchery and Deli
- All products are certified Halal from their factory in Woodlands
- Chilled, frozen, and marinated options, with meat from Oz
- Produce their own selection of hams, cold cuts and sausages
Mmmm! Meat Marinates & Much More
- Chilled and frozen meats available as well as sausage, bacon and sauces
- Aside from online orders, they also have four easily accessible outlets in West Coast Plaza, Anchorpoint and Changi City Point and Novena Square 2.
Like this? Read more at our wine and dine section: