“Cauliflower is one of those versatile vegetables that you can marinate in any sauce or flavoured yoghurt. The tahini and yoghurt combined with aromatic spices and chilli makes this simple roasted cauliflower recipe a festive one. And you can also use this marination for broccoli, chicken and lamb” – GAYATRI SINGH Director of Operations and Chef, Terra Madre.
Ingredients for this whole roasted cauliflower recipe
- 1 whole cauliflower head
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Kashmiri red chillies*
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder*
- 5 cardamom pods*
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds*
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon assorted peppercorns green, black, red and white
- 1 teaspoon jaggery*
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander with stalks
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons unhulled tahini*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Roast all the whole spices for a few minutes and let them cool slightly. Make a coarse spice powder using a mortar and pestle and keep it aside.
- Make a coarse paste of garlic and 1 teaspoon of the coarse spice powder the same way.
- In a big bowl, tip in coriander, tahini, 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon jaggery and whisk it well. Add the spice paste, the fresh coarse spice powder, salt and yoghurt, and whisk well until it makes a thick creamy paste. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Coat the cauliflower well with the marinade. Coat the roasting pan with the rest of the olive oil and place the cauliflower on it, and roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or till it is properly cooked.
- Let stand for a few minutes, then cut and serve with your favourite dressing or sauce.
* Available at Terra Madre’s organic store at 71 Loewen Road
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to firstname.lastname@example.org with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
This article first appeared in the September 2022 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase the latest issue or subscribe, so you never miss a copy!