Create some delicious Middle Eastern dishes at home with these simple recipes from Expat Kitchen for oven-baked falafels, tahini dipping sauce and Israeli salad.
#1 OVEN-BAKED FALAFEL
Makes 15 balls
• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• ½ small onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 3 tablespoons fresh, flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, for baking
• Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
• Place all the ingredients in a bowl or a food processor, and blend to a smooth paste.
• With slightly wet hands, form into ping pong-sized balls. Place on a tray in the fridge to firm up.
• Oil a baking tray with olive oil and roll the falafels in the oil to coat lightly.
• Bake for 15 minutes, turn them over, and bake for a further 15 minutes.
• Serve hot in a half-pita, with tahini sauce and Israeli salad (see below), or a simple dressed salad.
• They’re also good cold in lunch boxes.
• Make them smaller or larger as you wish, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted accordingly.
• If you’re using chickpeas that you’ve soaked and cooked yourself, it might be necessary to add a tablespoon of water to the mixture if it appears dry.
#2 TAHINI DIPPING SAUCE
• 4 tablespoons tahini
• 4 tablespoons warm water
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• pinch of cumin (optional)
• pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Combine all the ingredients and mix well, adding one or two more tablespoons of water, if required, to give a mayo-type consistency.
#3 ISRAELI SALAD
• 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
• 2 small cucumbers, diced
• 1 small red onion, diced
• handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
Combine all the ingredients, season with salt and pepper and serve with the baked falafel, dipping sauce and pita.
This article was first published in the October 2015 issue of the magazine.