Malva Pudding Recipe – Serves 8
“I was introduced to this dessert by my cousin in South Africa. The fragrance from the sauce is amazing – especially when it flows through the house on warm winter days at my grandma’s!” – Georgia Bisset
Ingredients for pudding
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups milk
- 125g butter
- 1 pinch salt
Instructions for pudding
- Beat egg and sugar.
- Add jam and dry ingredients.
- Add milk and bicarbonate of soda.
- Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes.
Instructions for sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a pan over the stove.
- Allow to boil for three minutes.
- Pour sauce over baked pudding.
- Cover with lid and allow to steam before serving.
This article first appeared in the February 2022 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase the latest issue or subscribe, so you never miss a copy!
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.