“These sausage rolls are so easy and quick to make, and are devoured at both kids’ parties and adult get-togethers. You can also make them in bulk and freeze them for easy lunches and snacks.”
– Kel Flanders, EL Home & Property Editor
Makes approximately 50 pieces (depending on how large you cut them)
Ingredients for filling
• 500g sausage mince (Kel asks the butcher for fine pork mince, then has them add sausage seasoning)
• 2 carrots, finely grated
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
• 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
• 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for pastry
• 1 packet of frozen filo pastry
• 1 egg, beaten
1. Mix all filling ingredients together in a large bowl. (“I use disposable gloves, as I hate the feel of the raw meat!” says Kel.)
2. Take out one layer of the frozen pastry. (“It defrosts really quickly so put the rest back in the freezer each time.”) Cut the pasty in half with a sharp knife to form two rectangles and layer on a few tablespoons of the filling mixture; it should form a long sausage shape down the centre of the pastry.
3. Fold over the edges to make a long tube, use a little water to make it stick, then turn over so the sealed side is at the bottom. Cut into six pieces and place on a baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the pastry and the mix.
4. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg and place in a 180 degree Celsius, pre-heated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
Want more delicious recipes? Click here!