Need some dinner inspiration for your day off from meat? Not sure you can manage cooking a curry? Try this recipe from Expat Kitchen.
• 2 eggplants, cut into chunks
• 1 potato, parboiled and cubed
• ½ can tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 7-8 curry leaves
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 shallots, chopped
• 1 green chilli, chopped
• 1-inch piece ginger, finely minced
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• Salt to taste
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• Handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1. Sauté eggplant until lightly browned and half-cooked. Set aside.
2. Lightly puree the tomatoes.
3. Heat the oil in a wok, and fry mustard seeds and curry leaves until they start to crackle.
4. Add garlic, shallots, green chilli and ginger, and fry until fragrant.
5. Add chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric, a little salt and a little bit of water if the gravy starts to dry out.
6. Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
7. Add sugar and coconut milk, and bring to a simmer.
8. Toss in eggplant and potatoes, and mix well.
9. Reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes until curry is thickened and vegetables are cooked through.
10. Squeeze some lime juice over everything.
11. Serve hot with rice and a garnish of coriander leaves.
Like this? Read more in our Wine and Dine section:
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.