The right makeup should enhance your features, not mask them. Pro make-up artist Kelly Bilimoria dishes her tips and tricks to revealing the natural you, only better.
Flawless, Dewy Skin
There’s nothing more charming than a fresh, barefaced-looking complexion. Apply a sheer liquid foundation or tinted moisturiser with a sponge for sheerer coverage, and use concealer only to correct any blemishes. Avoid powder unless you have an oily T-zone.
– Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser with SPF20
– NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
– Make Up For Ever Face & Body Foundation
A rosy glow always looks classic and irresistible. Sweep a soft pink blush on the apples of your cheeks and blend it along the cheekbones. This will create a more feminine and youthful flush than bronzer. Opt for a cream blush to mimic naturally flushed cheeks.
– Lancôme Blush Subtil in Sparkling Rose
– NYX Powder Blush in Pinched
– Tarte Cheek Stain in Doll Face
Maximise Your Lashes
You can transform short and stubby lashes with a good eyelash curler and a coating of soft mascara. Try applying white eyeliner to the inner corner of your eyes – this will instantly make you look more awake.
– L’Oréal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara
– Benefit They’re Real Mascara
Paint Your Pout
For kissable lips, opt for a barely-there finish. Try a lippie in a shade close to your natural lip colour with a matte or satin finish. If you want just a hint of colour, apply a lip-gloss or balm to achieve a super-sheer stain with high shine.
Pro Tip: Add a little shimmer to the inner part of the lips to create the illusion of fullness
– Burt Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose or Pink Blossom
– Clinique Chubby Stick in Mighty Mimosa or Woppin’ Watermelon
– NARS Lip Gloss in Female Trouble
Pump up the Volume
Nothing looks more romantic than loose waves and braids. Beef up too-thin strands with a volumising mousse or hairspray.
– For very short hair, try accessorising instead; experiment with clips and headbands for a new look.
– For mid-length to long hair, split your hair into two and plait both sides while it’s still wet. Leave your hair for a few minutes before drying it with a hairdryer. Make sure both plaits are perfectly dry before taking them out and marvelling at your new waves.
– Tigi Bed Head Superstar Volumising Hairspray
– Toni & Guy Volume Plumping Mousse
– Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray
Rock some Red
Put some punch in your pout with a sexy crimson shade that screams femme fatale. If you love a bold lip colour but want to try something other than red, try a trendy burgundy shade.
For definition, try a sleek flick of eyeliner. Draw along the upper lash line with your preferred shade, and thicken the line gradually from the middle of the eyelid towards the outer corner of the eye, extending it slightly beyond the eye and curving it upwards to create a flick.
You can also try a new spin on smoky eyes to create a warmer look: apply your usual smoky eye and then soften it with a bronze- or brown-toned shimmery eye-shadow.
Pro Tip: Bored of brown- or grey-toned smoky eyes? Try a plum-toned eye-shadow for a sultrier look.
Want more? See our style & beauty section!