MacRitchie Reservoir boasts one of the most popular jogging trails on the island. Here are some tips for tackling the jungle on foot.
- It’s approximately 11km to do the full loop – that’s if you follow the trail alone, rather than the boardwalks along the water’s edge. Allow 60 to 90 minutes for the run.
- Jogging in a jungle is a hot and sweaty business. Set off before 8am to avoid the heat of the day. (But note that the place is pitch black until 6.30am.)
- There’s only one water stop on the loop, at the Ranger’s Station. You’ll need to carry a bottle or drink plenty of water before and after.
- Approximately halfway along the trail you’ll come to the Jelutong Tower. It’s worth climbing to the top for views of the reservoir and the impressive jungle canopy.
- Clockwise or anti-clockwise? We generally think that clockwise is the best, but we can’t exactly put our finger on why.
- Monkey alert: yes, the macaques are innocuous enough, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to flash a snack in front of their eyes.