This brownies recipe is one of my paternal grandmother’s favourites! They are unique as they have an icing that creates an almost crunchy texture when it cools. – Georgia Bisset
Ingredients for brownies
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 125g margarine
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup buttermilk
Ingredients for icing
- 60g margarine
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2½ tablespoons buttermilk
- 225g icing sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
Instructions for brownies
- Sieve the flour and sugar and set aside.
- Mix the margarine, cocoa, oil and water in a pan over the stove.
- Once the mixture has cooled slightly, pour over the flour and sugar mixture and add beaten eggs, vanilla, bicarbonate of soda and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture in a 25 x 35cm pan and cook at 180°C for 20 to 25 minutes.
Instructions for icing
- Mix margarine, cocoa and buttermilk in a pan over the stove, stir until boiling.
- Add icing sugar and vanilla essence, stir until smooth and thick.
- Pour over hot brownies.
This article first appeared in the February 2022 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase the latest issue or subscribe, so you never miss a copy!
Love food? Don’t miss our round up of great restaurants in Singapore.