“My grandma was the queen of the lemon meringue pie! She would regularly whip one up off the top of her head in what seemed like mere minutes. So, whenever I have a slice, it always tastes like a piece of home.”
– Dr Zanelle Harris, Dentist
Ingredients for crust
• 1½ cups Graham crackers, finely crushed
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 100ml melted butter
Note: You can also use a ready-made pie crust from the grocery store
Ingredients for meringue
• 2 eggs, separated (keep the yolks for the filling)
• 75ml caster sugar
Ingredients for filling
• 1 can sweetened condensed milk
• 125ml lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. In a large bowl, mix the Graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Slowly mix the melted butter into the Graham crackers, mixing it until it can be pressed together.
2. Use a round pie dish and line the bottom and sides of the pie dish with the cracker mix, pushing it firmly to the base of the dish. Set aside to cool.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add caster sugar and continue to whisk until the sugar is incorporated. Set aside.
For filling and pie assembly:
1. Whisk the egg yolks and add a tin of condensed milk. Mix until combined.
2. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest to the yolk mixture, and stir together until smooth. The mixture will start to thicken.
3. Pour the filling over the cooled crust. Top with the meringue, and spread the meringue into tips.
4. Place the pie in a preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius. Keep an eye on the meringue so that it doesn’t burn. Let the pie cool, then eat and enjoy!
Send us a recipe! If you have a favourite dish you’d like to submit for an upcoming issue, please send an email titled “Recipe Corner” to email@example.com with your recipe, a photo of yourself, and a few words about your dish.
We hope you found this interesting; click here if you’d like to read more.