Hands up if you tend to over-pack for a weekend jaunt by bringing everything just in case you need it. Learn these 10 commandments by heart to avoid having to pay for excess baggage.
1. Get a roomy weekender bag that you’ll use again after the trip. Alexander Wang is a good option or visit Charles & Keith for a kind-to-your-wallet range.
2. For travel in the region, pack one basic cardigan in a neutral colour for chilly nights.
3. Don’t bring every dress you own; limit them to just two. Take one that is versatile for both day and night wear, like this Esprit number, and another in a basic design that you can easily dress up or down. Rompers are a good alternative, too.
4. Bring one knit sweater, which you can wear on its own or layer over a dress to create a completely new look.
5. A versatile scarf or shawl will dress up any simple outfit and will keep your hair in place on a windy afternoon.
6. From $16 a pair, Rollies (rollies.sg) are a must-have for every weekend traveller. These ballet flats can be rolled up and fit easily in your bag.
7. Don’t lug your weekender bag everywhere. Take a foldable shopping bag with you; the ones from Baggu or Envirosax (envirosax.com) come in funky designs.
8. It’s a holiday, so don’t spend it ironing clothes. Bring clothes in fabrics that don’t crease easily, like polyester or a cotton-polyester blend.
9. Keep toiletries and beauty essentials in a nice, waterproof bag. Remember to decant liquids into small bottles (up to 100ml) that meet airline regulations.
10. Pack a decent compact camera to capture the beautiful places and yourself!
Want more? See our style & beauty section!