The Affordable Art Fair is back for the fourth year with more inspiring, challenging and thought-provoking contemporary art which is accessible to everyone. You don’t need to be an art expert or a millionaire to enjoy and buy art. Everyone is welcome, so what are you waiting for? Measure up those blank wall spaces and get browsing.
About the Fair
- Find thousands of original artworks priced between $100 and $10,000. 75 percent of the artworks are under $7,500
- This year, for the first time, an “Under $1,000 Wall” will showcase a selection of artworks below $1,000
- See 95 galleries from all over the world exhibiting a range of art styles from classical to modern and from abstract to figurative
- Media include painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, screen printing, street art and contemporary calligraphy
- Discover artists from Asia, Australia and Europe in a relaxed and informative environment
- The Fair runs for four days, so there’s plenty of time to make a decision.
Never been to a fair before? Here’s a guide to getting the most out of it:
- Pace yourself, wear comfortable shoes and don’t rush
- Be prepared and give some prior thought to the space you are looking to fill
- On arrival, grab a guide and make notes as you wander around
- If you find something you particularly like, chat to the gallery representative about it
- It isn’t speed-dating; it can be helpful to take a break and mull over your choices
- Trust your instinct; buying art is about the connection and reaction you feel to a piece
- If you fall for a piece that’s out of your budget, check out the Own Art Scheme.
* Check out the gallery below for exacmples of art, from $500 – $5000 *
When and how to attend the Affordable Art Fair
Whether you are a young professional on the hunt for your first piece of art, a seasoned collector out to spot the next big thing, a student seeking inspiration, or a family looking for a fun day out, there is something for everyone to do and see.
Here are a few ideas:
- Catch up with friends over lunch or a glass of wine at the bar and lounge (new this year)
- Leave the kids at the free Children’s Art Studio
- Listen to a talk on art techniques or starting a collection
21 November, Thursday: 12 noon – 8pm
22 November, Friday: 12 noon – 6pm and Arty-Licious Evening: 6pm – 10pm ($30, advance purchase)
23 November, Saturday: 11am – 8pm
24 November, Sunday: 11am – 6pm
Buy tickets at the door: $15 per adult or $50 for a group of four. Free for children under 16. All artwork is priced. And wrapping is free, so you can take your purchases straight home with you.
F1 Pit Building, 1 Republic Boulevard
Learn more about art at these free talks:
Collect your world: buying and collecting art
21 November at 1pm and 23 November at 4pm
Ralph Hobbs explains how to start collecting art, how the art market works, what to look for when starting out, current world trends and historical perspectives.
The rise of street art
23 November at 12pm
From the streets to the gallery wall, street art is a vibrant counter-culture. This seminar looks at the remarkable rise of street art into the museums and homes of collectors worldwide. How did it happen? What makes good street art? Is it really collectible?
24 November at 2pm
Who’s hot? What makes these new artists tick? Ralph Hobbs hosts a dynamic discussion with leading emerging artists. Find out about their artistic process, what inspires them, and how they manage their rising careers.