Having opened its doors in 1979, Parkroyal Serviced Suites Singapore occupies a prime spot for exploring the cultural enclave of Kampong Glam, the shopping mecca of Bugis and the drinking hotspots of Bali Lane. But it’s not just what’s on the outside that counts – the residences recently underwent a three- month refurbishment project, which has transformed the lobby and 90 suites. The fully furnished suites feature all the mod cons – LCD televisions, in-room wireless internet access, fully equipped kitchens and self-service laundrettes. Then there’s the adjacent Parkroyal on Beach Road, which provides all the leisure facilities a guest of the Serviced Suites might need, including the St. Gregory spa, an outdoor swimming pool, an aerobics studio and a gym.
App and about
When it comes to exploring what’s out there, things are made easier with the Parkroyal Picks app, which you can download for free from the App Store or Google Play. The app, which works not just in Singapore but for all Parkroyal Hotels & Resorts locations, promises to help you find whatever hidden gems you’re looking for in the local area, from brunch spots to street food and more.
Things to do in Kampong Glam
Just one of the areas close to Parkroyal is Kampong Glam, or the Arab Quarter, which covers the enclave of Haji Lane, Bali Lane and Arab Street. Here are just a few places to head to:
- For a feast of Mexican food washed down with frozen margaritas, try Piedra Negra. 24 Beach Road
- BluJaz Café is a must-visit if you’re into live music or comedy shows. 11 Bali Lane
- For home décor with a difference, head to Scene Shang, a mix of Asian heritage and contemporary design. 263 Beach Road
- Alaturk offers authentic Turkish dining within an elaborately decorated interior with traditional Turkish tiles. 15 Bussorah Street
- You’ll have to rely on your taste and touch at dine-in-the-dark restaurant Nox. 269 Beach Road
Brought to you by
This article first appeared in the August 2017 edition of Expat Living. You can purchase a copy or subscribe so you never miss an issue!