In case you’re stuck in a recipe rut this month, here’s a fail-safe salad recipe to add to your repertoire. Happy cooking and eating!
Serves 4 to 6
From Mary-Anne Vicente, Australian
“This is a great recipe for poolside, beachside or inside – it’s bright and light!”
- 500g chicken breast
- 500g spinach leaves or mixed salad leaves
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, diced into chunky pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced and diced
- 1-2 long red chillies, chopped (these have a little heat, so adjust to your liking; for a kick, add a small red chilli!)
- 1 yellow or green capsicum, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked, chilli or sweet are all suitable)
- Chopped fresh basil leaves (a stick or two); set some extra aside for garnish
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook the chicken in a pan or grill, then slice it.
- Season the potato with salt and pepper, and cook in a pan or grill. Let potatoes cool.
- Mix the leaves, capsicum, onion, basil, chicken, sweet potato and chilli in a bowl. Then add the avocado and mango.
- Gently mix salad ingredients together and arrange on a salad platter.
- Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with basil.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together. Pour the dressing on, or serve it on the side.
Note: This recipe is gluten-free and can be suitable for vegetarians if the chicken is served on the side; or, throw in some quinoa instead!
We have loads more great recipes and dinner party inspiration!
This article first appeared in the April 2017 edition of Expat Living Singapore. Subscribe now!
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.