In case you’re stuck in a recipe rut this month, here’s a fail-safe salad recipe to add to your repertoire. Happy cooking and eating!
Serves 4 to 6
From Mary-Anne Vicente, Australian
“This is a great recipe for poolside, beachside or inside – it’s bright and light!”
- 500g chicken breast
- 500g spinach leaves or mixed salad leaves
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, diced into chunky pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced and diced
- 1-2 long red chillies, chopped (these have a little heat, so adjust to your liking; for a kick, add a small red chilli!)
- 1 yellow or green capsicum, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked, chilli or sweet are all suitable)
- Chopped fresh basil leaves (a stick or two); set some extra aside for garnish
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook the chicken in a pan or grill, then slice it.
- Season the potato with salt and pepper, and cook in a pan or grill. Let potatoes cool.
- Mix the leaves, capsicum, onion, basil, chicken, sweet potato and chilli in a bowl. Then add the avocado and mango.
- Gently mix salad ingredients together and arrange on a salad platter.
- Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with basil.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together. Pour the dressing on, or serve it on the side.
Note: This recipe is gluten-free and can be suitable for vegetarians if the chicken is served on the side; or, throw in some quinoa instead!
We have loads more great recipes and dinner party inspiration!
This article first appeared in the April 2017 edition of Expat Living Singapore. Subscribe now!