Pyramid of Crabmeat, Tomato & Avocado with Gazpacho
Courtesy of Chef Saint Julien, of Le Saint Julien Restaurant
• 6 large tomatoes
• cress, to garnish
• 1 tbsp chopped chives
• 300ml gazpacho
• 3 tbsp mayonnaise
• 300g crabmeat (preferably Dungeness crab)
• 1 tbsp Pommery mustard (or wholegrain Dijon mustard)
• 100ml olive oil, preferably from Nyons, France
• In a mixing bowl, combine the raw crabmeat with the mayonnaise and Pommery mustard.
In another mixing bowl, peel and mash the avocados with a fork.
Add the lemon juice and chopped onion. Season with Tabasco sauce and salt.
• To prepare the tomatoes, pierce the skin, forming a cross, on the bottom of each tomato.
Plunge in boiling water for a minute and then in iced water. Remove the skin and cut each
tomato into four slices.
• To prepare the pyramids, lay the slices of one tomato on a flat surface.
Spread the avocado onto two slices and the crabmeat onto one slice.
Stack them and transfer to a serving plate. Repeat this layering with all the tomatoes.
Drizzle the olive oil around, garnish with the cress and chopped chives and serve with a bowl
of gazpacho on the side.
* Everything in this dish must be very fresh.
* Pick tasty, juicy beef tomatoes.
* The gazpacho can be prepared in advance.