Muesli Muffins with Berry Mango Smoothies
A winning combination of scrumptious muesli muffins, served hot with a healthy mixed berry and mango smoothie.
Breakfast Muesli Muffins: Makes 12
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
¼ cup (60ml) light olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
3 cups (390g) toasted muesli with dried fruit and nuts
1¼ cups (165g) plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250g (1 cup) vanilla yoghurt
What to do
• Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with a little butter or olive oil.
• Finely grate the rind of the orange into a bowl and mix in the flour, the bicarbonate of soda
and 2 cups of the muesli.
• Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and honey together in a separate bowl.
Juice the orange and add ½ a cup of the juice to the egg mixture.
• Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix together quickly until just combined.
It’s all right if the mixture looks lumpy and uneven.
• Spoon mixture into a prepared muffin tin, leaving enough space for the mixture to rise.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through, when toothpick comes out clean.
• Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Top with a blob of yoghurt and sprinkle with the remaining muesli.
Berry Mango Smoothies: Makes 4 glassfuls
300g of fresh or frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries) and mangoes, thawed
750ml (3 cups) low-fat milk
250g (1 cup) creamy vanilla yoghurt
80ml (1/3 cup) honey
1 cup crushed ice
What to do
• Place half the fruit in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Add half the milk, yoghurt, honey and ice and blend until smooth.
• Pour into 2 chilled serving glasses.
• Repeat with the remaining half of the ingredients.