Run out of dinner ideas again? Expat Kitchen’s Annette Lang comes to the rescue with a bunch of chicken recipes that are easy to prepare and jam-packed with goodness.
1. Stuffed Chicken Breast
• Preheat oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
• For the stuffing, sauté finely chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves, add 1 finely chopped capsicum for 3 minutes until tender. Mix in 150gms of chopped thawed spinach (squeeze excess water out), 1 tablespoon of mixed herbs and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. You may want to add feta cheese, mushroom and pine nuts.
• Carefully cut a pocket into the chicken breasts and place stuffing inside, then secure with toothpicks. Place in a glass baking dish and cover with tomatoes. You may add olives, capers, pesto, and mushroom with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Bake for 1 hour until chicken is tender. Remove toothpicks and serve on creamy polenta.
2. Asian Soup with Chicken Dumplings
• Place chicken, 1 egg white, 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, I teaspoon salt in a food processor and process until just combined. Using wet hands, roll into balls.
• In a pot, boil 4 cups of stock, 2 tablespoon grated ginger, 1tablespoon sweet chilli sauce, 1/3 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoon kecip manis and half a red capsicum, thinly sliced.
• When soup is boiling, add balls in 1 at a time and cook for 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Add roughly chopped bok choy. Serve in bowl with ready prepared rice noodles. You may way to add sliced shitake mushrooms for extra flavour.
3. Spanish Hotpot
• Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy based pan, cut chicken into large bite sized pieces and brown in batches and transfer to plate.
• Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Sauté 2 onions and 2 capsicums both cut into thin strips, cook for 3 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons paprika (smoky paprika can also be used) and 2 minced garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute.
• Add canned tomatoes, mix well and bring to boil. Return chicken and 2 tablespoon mixed herbs tomatoes. You may add olives, capers and mushrooms. Cover and place in oven for 45 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
• To turn this into to stroganoff, add 250gms mushrooms when adding the chicken back into pot and mix in a quarter of a cup of sour cream just before serving.
4. Maple Chicken with Apples
• Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Cut 4 apples, 2 red capsicum, 2 onions, (potato, pumpkin and carrots, if you wish) into wedges. Place into a baking dish, drizzled with a little olive oil.
• Season chicken and add to pan.
• Melt 50gms butter and combine with 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey) and 1 tablespoon mixed herbs.
• Drizzle the sauce over the veggies and chicken, toss to combine and coat well. Cook, turning and basting for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Slice chicken over crisp veggies and serve with brown rice.
Expat Kitchen is located at 9 Norris Road.
Call +65 6299 4221 or +65 6299 4226 or visit www.expat-kitchen.com .