A crumble, in my opinion, is a wondrous dessert on many levels. First, the addition of fruit makes it perfect dessert-for-breakfast food. Second, it’s forgiving; it makes even the most hopeless baker seem like a star. And lastly, mastering one recipe opens up a world of endless possibilities. Try substituting plums, apricots or pears and chocolate for a twist. But the best part is that this recipe is gluten-free and vegan.
8 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, liquid
½ cup Wholesome Sweetener organic sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of organic sea salt
1¼ cup gluten-free flour mix
¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill buckwheat flour
¼ cup almond meal (ground almonds)
¼ cup roasted macadamias, chopped roughly
1. Combine all the ingredients except the coconut oil and macadamias together and mix together with a fork.
2. Add the oil in two lots, mixing well after each. Mix in the chopped macadamias.
3. Chill the mixture in the fridge while you prepare the fruit filling.
6 medium-sized organic bananas
2 large organic mangoes
2 tablespoons Wholesome Sweetener organic sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or Organic Valley lightly salted butter if not vegan or dairy-intolerant)
1. Peel and slice the bananas into 1.5-inch pieces. Peel and slice mangoes into 1.5-inch cubes.
2. In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter. Add the sliced bananas and sugar. Sauté until the sugar has melted and turned pale brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Toss in the mango cubes. Feel free to add shredded coconut or a splash of rum, if you like.
4. While filling cools, preheat oven to 180˚C.
Assembling and Baking
1. Pour the filling into an ovenproof casserole dish. Remove crumble topping from fridge and, using hands, crumble it over the fruit. Be sure to fill in the gaps.
2. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until crumbles turns golden brown.
3. Serve warm, topped with ice cream, a drizzle of heavy cream or coconut cream if dairy-intolerant.
All organic ingredients are available online at The Organic Grocer: www.theorganicgrocer.com.sg. All other ingredients are readily found at supermarkets.