Asparagus Served with Orange Sauce and Shallots
• 2 oranges
• 1 pink shallot
• 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 20 spears green asparagus, trimmed
• Parmesan cheese, for shaving
1. First, make the dressing. Zest one orange into a bowl, then juice both oranges and boil the juice down in a small saucepan to about 3 tablespoons. Meanwhile, mince the shallot and place in a ramekin with the vinegar poured over. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mustard to the zest. When the orange juice has reduced, strain it over the zest. Drain the shallot, discarding the vinegar, and add. Whisk all together, then slowly whisk in the oil. Taste, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Bring a sauté pan full of water to the boil. Salt it, then add the asparagus and cook until tender. Drain, and immediately rinse under ice-cold water to set the colour. Pat dry with paper towels and transfer to a serving platter.
4. Spoon over the sauce. Shave over Parmesan cheese. Grind over some pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Laura Calder, chef of French Food at Home.
Catch the third season of her show on the Asian Food Channel (StarHub Channel 435) every Monday at 9pm.