What would you do if your dog suddenly became ill and stopped wanting to go on daily walks? What if your cat was accidentally hit by a car? For many pet owners, having a pet is like having a child. We want to provide them with the best care, and keep them safe from accidents and sickness. If a pet becomes sick or injured, though, the veterinary bills can be significant, and surgery can magnify those costs. Happy Tails™ pet insurance, which launches in Singapore in December can alleviate that financial and emotional burden.
What is the annual cost of owning a pet?
This is definitely not a small investment. Initial expenditure for check-ups, food, toys and incidentals can reach $2,000. Monthly costs can easily add up to $250; this does not include vet visits that can range from hundreds of dollars for minor conditions, to thousands for complex surgeries such as hip dysplasia surgery and spinal surgery.
Is my pet eligible for insurance?
To be eligible, dogs and cats must:
• be aged between 16 weeks and under 9 years;
• be micro-chipped;
• be licensed and approved by the Agri-food and Veterinary Authority in Singapore;
• meet veterinary exam requirements;
• not be used for breeding;
• not be a working animal, involved in racing, breeding, law enforcements or for other commercial use
What does Happy Tails™ insurance cover?
Underwritten by MSIG Insurance (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. and distributed by Aon Singapore Pte. Ltd., Happy Tails™, seeks to take care of the big bills. These are usually unexpected things that pet-owners aren’t prepared for. Offering annual coverage of up to $10,000, Happy Tails™ covers surgical costs for major illnesses, injuries and specified hereditary and congenital conditions, including hip dysplasia**. Other benefits include surgical treatment for cancer, chemotherapy and more.
What kinds of pets are covered?
Only dogs and cats are covered by Happy Tails™. The range of insurable breeds includes over 200 dogs and more than 100 cats. Animals whose breeds are not identifiable can be covered as mixed/cross-breeds.
What is a typical annual premium?
For a mixed-breed, two-year-old dog, a mid-tier plan with annual coverage of up to $7,500 costs approximately $370 a year – that’s just a dollar a day to insure and protect your furry family member.
Happy Tails™ will be available in Singapore from 18th December – keep an eye on their website, plus their lovely pet-centric Facebook page for updates. Got a question? Get in touch via email@example.com.
– There is a 12-month waiting period from enrolment for coverage of the specified hereditary and congenital conditions
– This article is not a contract of insurance. Full details of the terms, conditions and exclusions of this insurance will be made clearer by the company itself.