Amanda Ong had everything arranged for her second child’s arrival in 2020. This included a part-time nanny to help with babysitting her first child, who was then under two years old. Unexpectedly, the nanny couldn’t complete the assignment and Amanda was unable to find a part-time babysitter at short notice.
Exasperated and exhausted, Amanda wondered if there could be other mums or grandmothers living close by who could help her. Her desire is that no mother – especially a newly minted one – would have to go through a similar experience as her. That sparked the idea to create Aunty, an app that connects parents to babysitters.
Babysitting services when you need it
Parents can book a babysitter for up to three months in advance. But Aunty truly comes in handy when something unexpected happens; parents can then find a babysitter on the same day.
This ease in finding a part-time nanny allows parents to arrange for babysitting services no matter the situation. It’s especially useful if you’re working from home or on weekends and a situation pops up where you really need a sitter.
What are some of the common situations when parents have used Aunty for babysitting services?
- Unplanned sickness: You can’t predict a headache, cold or fever. Recuperate without worry when you’re able to find a babysitter at short notice.
- Temporary closure of infant care or a sick child sent back from a centre: With someone available for babysitting at such short notice, you can continue with your usual routine without much disruption.
- Preparing reports for a meeting: You can focus on getting ready while the nanny keeps your children occupied.
- Running errands: Grocery shopping, heading to the bank or picking up something become much faster and smoother.
- A night out: Be it date night, a wedding dinner or a company function, you don’t have to rush home to tuck the kids into bed.
- Regular me-time: You no longer need to figure out how to entertain the kids when you’re at the dentist or when you’re getting your nails done, or having a haircut or facial. Better yet, you can fully relax into a spa session or focus on your gym workout.
- Play dates: While the sitter watches the kids play, you can be truly present with your fellow mums as you spend time together.
Not forgetting, sometimes parents are simply overwhelmed or worn out. Having quick and easy access to a reliable part-time nanny allows you time to rest and recharge, knowing that your young child is in good hands.
A team of pre-vetted sitters, some with childcare experience
With parents requiring a part-time babysitter for various reasons, how does Aunty ensure that their sitters are up to the task?
Amanda says that sitters have to be Singaporeans or PRs and at least 18 years old. The application process also includes reference checks with parents they have babysat for before.
All their nannies also have experience working with children. There are former preschool teachers, fellow mums, retirees and grandmothers. Some of the babysitters have also studied nursing or previously worked in a paediatric ward.
Then, when an assignment is completed, parents are asked to provide a review of the part-time babysitter, which is displayed on the sitter’s profile.
Connect to a babysitter in three steps
Keen to try the service? It’s a simple matter of searching, chatting and booking! First, key in the date and time you require a sitter and browse through the available profiles of available sitters in your area.
You can then send requests to a maximum of five sitters. After this, you can chat with them to ensure that you’re comfortable with them confirming the booking.
All communication between parents and sitter are through the app, which stays open until the end of the job. Payment is also made in the app with your card or through a unique QR code.
Hear from a parent
“We never thought we would get to go on dinner dates again after having a baby until Aunty came along. The app is very intuitive and it took me less than an hour to confirm a sitter. The sitter (Gracious) was punctual and professional, and we instantly felt at ease with her. We’re already planning for our next date night knowing that our kid will be in good hands of the sitters from Aunty.” – Luiza Lee, mother of one
Find your next part-time nanny with Aunty
It’s free to download and start an account on Aunty. The hourly rate of each babysitter is indicated in their profile; there aren’t any additional fees that parents have to pay. Head to the Aunty website to download the app and find your next part-time nanny now.
Written in collaboration with Aunty
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.