Perhaps your child identifies with Lea Michele in Glee while you’re more familiar with Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta in Grease. Either way, if they leave a deep impression with their singing, dancing and acting skills, then they’re what’s known in the performance biz as a “triple threat”! These three performance skills can be attained by anyone through musical theatre lessons, namely singing, dance and drama classes. Besides learning stage presence, vocal projection and acting techniques, musical theatre lessons also help in building confidence and developing social skills.
The teachers and coaches at Sing’theatre Academy believe that musical theatre is for anyone; so, their courses are for every age, from four years up. Whether you’re a toddler, teenager or adult, the academy sets the stage for anyone who’d like to take their performance skill up a few notches. Let’s take a look at what you can expect!
Dedicated musical theatre lessons with expert teachers
Sing’theatre Academy is the only dedicated musical theatre academy in Singapore. It’s also the only school whose teachers are all active performers or educators in the local musical theatre scene. So, they are truly experts in their field. Meet some of them here:
- Head Musical Theatre Teacher and Vocal Coach TJ has been a singing coach for several professional theatre companies in Singapore, including Sing’Theatre and Pangdemonium. He’s also a part-time singing technique teacher on the BA Musical Theatre programme at Lasalle College of the Arts
- Musical Theatre Teacher Mina Kaye is an award-winning actress who played Little Voice, or “LV”, in Pangdemonium’s 2014 production of The Rise and Fall of Little Voice.
- Musical Theatre Teacher and Vocal Coach Vanessa Kee made her debut in musical professional theatre with Pangdemonium’s musical Urintetown in 2019. This was followed by the lead role in Sing’theatre’s Asian premier of West End’s A Spoonful of Sherman.
- Musical Theatre Dance Teacher Pat John Gregory is currently a full-time performing arts artiste with So Drama! Entertainment’s Music and Drama Company.
Participants will be able to develop their skills in these unique courses through singing classes, drama classes for kids and adults, and dance lessons. Students will practice with a supportive community of learners in classes led by the industry’s leading musical theatre performers in Singapore. At the end of the semester, a performance show will be held at Sing’theatre’s in-house Main Stage Theatre in Bugis. This performance is open to family and friends.
Choosing the right course for musical theatre lessons
According to TJ, there’s something for everyone at Sing’theatre Academy!
“If you’re just starting out and want to build confidence, we have courses for you such as Super Stars for children and Stage Door for Adults. But, if you’re destined for Broadway and want to push your skills to the professional level, we have courses like our Broadway Stars Plus and Showstoppers to take you there! At Sing’theatre Academy, no matter your level, we’re a family and you’ll feel that difference as soon as you step onto our stage.”
Courses for kids of all ages
Here are the various musical theatre lessons for different age groups at Sing’theatre Academy:
- Rising Stars for 4 to 6 years. Learn the three forms of musical theatre – singing, dancing, acting.
- Super Stars for 7 to 9 years. Increased complexity around all three forms of musical theatre.
- Comédie Musicale (in French) for 7 to 10 years. Musical comedy in French.
- West End Stars for 10 to 13 years. Intermediate classes tailored to students’ abilities to provide them with the chance to hone their skills with more confidence.
- Broadway Stars for 13 to 17 years. In-depth training for teenagers.
- Broadway Stars Plus (auditions required) for 13 to 18 years. Students work at advanced levels to improve in singing, dancing and acting skills; this is for those who have an interest in pursuing the performing arts.
- Musical Theatre Dance for 11 years and above. This class brings together the many different dance techniques with a focus on telling a story and delivering a character.
- Stage Door for 18 years and above. This adult musical theatre class is designed for those who want to build their foundations and improve techniques in musical theatre under the guidance of industry professionals.
- Adult Musical Theatre Conservatoire (auditions required) for 18 years and above. Students will explore different musical theatre genres with the aim of leaving the course with a professional song repertoire folder.
- The Showstoppers (auditions required) for 18 years and above. An ensemble performance class that includes rehearsals in order to stage a show in November.
All classes are two hours, except for Rising Stars (1 hour) and Super Stars (1.5 hours). Each class only has 10 students.
The next semesters are:
- 2021/2022 Semester 1: September to December 2021
- 2021/2022 Semester 2: January to June 2022
- 2022/2023 Semester 1: September to December 2022
Established in 2014, Sing’theatre is a theatre company that uses musical theatre and shows to highlight social conversations and personal struggles. It also aims to bring music to a greater audience through a community outreach programmes in hospitals.
The Sing’theatre Academy provides musical theatre enthusiasts with the opportunity to learn from professional artists in musical theatre lessons that include drama classes for kids and adults, dance classes and singing lessons. The courses expose students to the cultural value of musical theatre performances and real professional stage experience.
Ready to start your classes in musical theatre?
If you’re excited to develop your singing, dancing and acting skills at the Sing’theatre Academy, sign up for a free trial class by writing to email@example.com. Trial spaces are on a first-come-first-served basis.
Written in collaboration with:
firstname.lastname@example.org | WhatsApp 9785 1406