Looking to buy a house, rent an apartment or invest in a holiday home in Singapore or overseas? It is always important to know the ins-and-outs of investing, renting and buying especially when abroad. We asked some property experts for a few expert pointers to help you on your buying or renting journey:
Greyloft provides renting and buying services in Singapore. There are plenty of housing options to choose from – condos, landed houses, even a hybrid of the two in cluster housing!
- Properties closer to the city centre are smaller, so pick somewhere a little further out if you’re looking for more space!
- Factors such as the age and location of your property will affect your rental price. If you are looking for greater convenience, such as being close to an MRT station, be prepared to fork out a little more each month.
- Even with an agent each step of the way, it doesn’t hurt to be a meticulous tenant! Take note that all tenants are required to hand over a security deposit to their landlords. To reduce any extra cost and protect your damage deposit, draw up a detailed condition report (with photos and existing defects) when you move in.
France & Switzerland
Alpine Property Investments offers a wide range of ski chalets and apartments for sale and rent in France and Switzerland. French Resorts like Val D’Isere, Courchevel, Meribel, Megeve and Morzine are hugely popular. Others like Chatel, Vaujany ( Alpe d’Huez ) and Praz Sur Arly are making their presence felt with lower prices. Verbier in Switzerland continues to be very popular with overseas investors, however resorts like Haute Nendaz, La Tzoumaz and Les Collons are not far behind.
- High altitude resorts are great for extended ski seasons. However, for year-round rental, pick a dual season location. It will offer great activities for the family during both summer and winter.
- Accessibility is key so reduce transfer times with a place close to a well-connected airport.
- Think about the changing needs of your family over time and ensure the chosen resort offers something for everyone.
JM Chase Search & Acquisition offers help and advice on buying, renting and investing in property in Prime Central London. Good news for all – in the central London market, the post-Brexit blues have become a thing of the past and buyers and sellers are moving on with their investment plans.
- Take advantage of Sterling’s weakness (hooray for international buyers) and benefit from up to 20% to 30% in savings on London property. With the UK mortgage market in full swing, borrowing cost is at a historic low and it is cheaper to own than to rent property.
- Focus on properties in the sub £1 million (approximately SGD2 million) price bracket.
- Concentrate on either locations near to upcoming major infrastructure developments – such as the Crossrail and extension of existing subway lines – or existing housing areas that will benefit from regeneration schemes, such as Battersea Power Station and Earls Court.
Selong Selo Residences allows owners to select their preferred home style and size and oversee the process from buying, building to daily management. You can look forward to spectacular views and untouched surroundings while still enjoying modern resort facilities such as a spa, fitness centre and quality dining. Also, expect world-class surfing and diving at nearby beaches.
- If you’re looking to build your dream villa, minimise unnecessary cost by ensuring your developer has put in place the infrastructure you need. Essentials such as internal roads, water, sewage, power connection and internet are some of the most costly additions.
- Land disputes are common in Indonesia, so ensure that ownership is clear and boundaries have been defined.
- Why invest in Southern Lombok? There is potential for significant capital appreciation with the government’s commitment to improvement of infrastructure and greater accessibility with increased direct flights to the Lombok International Airport.
Thinking of buying a luxury holiday home in Thailand? Samujana offers 27 exclusive villas for rent and purchase in Koh Samui. Expect breath-taking seaviews, spacious living areas and a private infinity pool. As a villa owner, you will become an equal stakeholder in the management company. In the last four years, there have been many great additions including a new reception building, and private garden access to the beach.
- Opt for an existing estate rather than a standalone property to keep your home in tip-top shape. If you’re going to invest a substantial amount of money, you’ll want to be assured of your property’s daily upkeep and management.
- With a professional management team on hand, have your property cared for and looking as good as new when you return. No more stress over disorganised rental procedures when you’re not around with a management team on task.
- Do your research. Visit the location, view the properties on offer and meet the people involved.
As the first gated and guarded residence in Iskandar Malaysia, Leisure Farm offers a wide range of estates and residences. Their Bayou Creek precinct has beautiful semi-detached houses and bungalows with built-in designer kitchens as well as professional wardrobe systems in the master bedrooms. Located close to the Tuas Second Link bridge, commuting to and from Singapore is a breeze. They are also near Educity which offers a selection of renowned schools and colleges including Marlborough College, University of Southampton and Khazanah Primary and Secondary Trust Schools.
- Apply for Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) status and enjoy benefits when purchasing a home including multiple entry visa and a higher housing loan margin.
- Consider security and pick a gated community. You want peace of mind that your home will be safe and secure whilst you’re away.
- Your child’s education is important: choose an area that is near reputable schools.
Looking for more advice? Head on to our Finance section.
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.