- Some rug cleaners bleach the rug tassels and cotton fringes. Repeated bleaching with products that contain chlorine will weaken the tassels, making them brittle and prone to breaking.
- Regular vacuuming helps maintain the condition of the carpet and prevent dirt on the surface of the rug from filtering into the carpet pile. You need to be careful when using a vacuum cleaner that’s equipped with a power-brush (or “beater”) function, especially on the tassels and fringes. The power brush may damage the surface of the rug if used too strenuously. Avoid using an upright vacuum cleaner over the tassels whenever possible as they may get caught in the running brush.
- When mopping the floor around the Oriental rug, make sure that the mop does not come into contact with the rug, as the material can become brittle or rot if it isn’t dried properly.
- Do not place potted plants that require watering on the rug.
- If storing your rugs for more than six months, it is important to first get them thoroughly cleaned and dried, and then wrapped in protective plastic to protect them from insects and moisture.
- Professionally clean your rugs at least once a year to thoroughly remove accumulated dirt, stains and micro-organisms in the carpet pile, and to maintain the carpet’s condition.
Like what you've seen?
Enter your email address to stay in touch!
By subscribing, you'll receive our monthly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.