Need some help with home decoration ideas? If you’re renting a property in Singapore, you probably don’t want to splash out on an interior designer consultation. However, most of us could do with some help with interior or home styling. Even if it’s working out what to put on the walls, where to place furniture and so on. The Arete Culture (AC) team are offering complimentary mini interior design consults that could be just what you’re looking for.
What is an AC Mini Consult?
Arete Culture is offering complimentary mini home styling consultations twice a month – every last Saturday and Monday of the month, starting 25 July. Each consultation is capped at 30 minutes and valued at $75.
The mini consultations are particularly useful for new homeowners and renters, but the AC team are open to help with any home styling concerns during these sessions. They are tailored to help people tackle one problem or a particular area of their home that they’re having trouble with. The concerns can be both styling- or interior design-related. Some of the more common queries include:
- How to choose a colour palette
- What to do with an awkward space
- What to do in an already furnished space to make it feel larger or airier
- How to renovate a space to accommodate more storage
- How to make a room more cosy/functional
What happens on a mini-consult?
Firstly, decide which part of your home is giving you the biggest headache – the one where you really need some new home decoration ideas. Then send some pics of the tricky area to the AC team along with a quick brief explaining what you’d like to do with your space.
They take that info, work their magic and then present their solutions to you in a 30-minute consultation at their shop in the Tan Boon Liat Building. Perfect.
I did a mini-consult myself recently. Here’s how it went!
The interior styling brief
I sent through some photos of our entrance and dining area, and the dimensions, along with these details:
- There is a large space when you enter our apartment; this is where our dining table and display shelving sits. It’s quite dark, so it can look cavernous while still looking cluttered. Our goal is for it to be inviting, cohesive and more liveable.
- We have two small kids so (obviously!) we can’t have nice things anymore, and we have some cool stuff that we would like to keep on display. We want to be able to represent who we are and show off what we have collected over the years. But it’s also important to us that our space is inclusive of everyone in the family.
- The shelves are great, and we like their industrial look. We need to use the space for storage for the kids’ toys so that they can access them easily.
- Our taste is eclectic! We love colours and prints – the bolder the better! – and we think that the industrial bones of the shelves can carry a lot of looks. We love the amazing antique typewriter lamp with the Edison bulb, and some of my art. We need the space for storage, but it would be great if we had some new home decoration ideas that looked edgy and cool.
- The dining table and chairs are too small – a relic from a smaller apartment and pre-children life. I need suggestions about what to do with that space.
Caroline and Nirvi presented their submission during our 30-minute session and, in typical form, were warm and engaging. It was a lot of fun. Typically, two stylists will work on the project, with Caroline giving final approval over each consult. Who you meet for your consultation will depend on who is available at the time of your appointment.
One by one, they addressed each of the problems that I raised and came up with workable solutions. They explained their reasons behind their suggestions clearly and talked me through why they would work.
There were a few things that I found particularly helpful. The first was that they not only proposed what needed to be done with the space, but there was no ‘hard sell’. This was really refreshing.
The AC team will suggest what they think will work best in your space, no matter where it’s sourced from. After this step, they’ll patiently walk you through each one of their recommendations and how it relates to your space. I found this really helpful.
The part that I found most impressive, though, was how intuitive they were about the suggestions they made. We have a young family, so price, durability and functionality are our top priorities. Nothing that they advised us on was expensive by any stretch. The AC team are also open to clients taking photos of the recommendations they give throughout the consultation for their own reference.
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and got a lot out of it. Their suggestions were exactly what we were looking for and we will be implementing these changes.
How do I get one?
While the team does accept walk-ins for the mini consults, they do prioritise those who email to book a slot as there are limited sessions each month. To book yourself in, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To stay up to date on their news, follow them on Instagram where their monthly complimentary mini consults are announced: instagram.com/areteculture.
Also, when you email, send images of the space, any challenges or questions for the stylist, measurements or floor plans, and what you are hoping to achieve. As the session is only 30 minutes, try to keep questions to one room so the stylists can have a productive discussion when you meet. The mini consultations take place at their Tan Boon Liat showroom.
If you’re like me and you don’t feel the need for an all-out makeover, but rather just need some home styling of just a few spots in your home, this is the perfect solution. It’s quick and easy, and the team are really helpful as there are limited sessions each month. Mini consultations are available on Saturday, 29 August, and Monday, 31 August in the month of August 2020.
Arete Culture is located at #06-01 Tan Boon Liat Building.
Want some extra interior styling ideas from Arete Culture? Try these:
Get the latest events, stories and special offers
sent to your inbox.
By signing up, you'll receive our weekly newsletters and offers, which you can unsubscribe to anytime.