As a nutritionist and mother of two, AILEEN LANE from Nutri-Style knows how to put every ingredient to work for her family. Here ahe shares her dietary tips with EL.
|•||Start their day with whole oats, nutrient-rich avocado, banana, pumpkin or sunflower seeds and dried fruit. Use non-dairy milk such as oat, soy or almond.|
|•||Limit processed foods and promote fresh fruit and vegetables as snacks.|
|•||Introduce whole grains (bread, rice and pasta) early so they don’t develop a preference for nutritionally deficient refined products.|
|•||Fill sandwiches with mashed banana, avocado with lemon juice, or Aileen’s Troppo For Chocco spread.|
|•||Offer homemade hummus with vegetable crudites.|
|•||Whip up smoothies from non-dairy milk, soaked almonds and frozen fruit, or freeze them to make ice lollies.|
Troppo For Chocco
Dairy- and nut-free. Makes one cup.
Shelf life: three days (fridge) or two weeks (frozen)
• ¼ cup dates, soaked for several hours
• ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
• ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
• 1½ avocadoes, mashed
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¼ cup water
|1.||Mix dates, maple syrup or agave nectar and vanilla powder until smooth in a food processor fitted with an S blade.|
|2.||Add avocado and cocoa powder and mix until creamy.|
|3.||Add the water and mix briefly.|
|•||Count calories with free websites and applications like caloriecount.com.|
|•||Satisfy appetites with fibre-rich wholegrain oats, pasta, rice and breads, and avoid white carbohydrates.|
|•||Avoid low fat products as they are often full of sugar, artificial flavours and additives.|
|•||Diet drinks create sweet cravings. Opt for sparkling water or diluted fresh juices.|
|•||Avoid or reduce intake of meat and dairy products, known to be high in saturated fats that cause acidic bodily reactions that can lead to degenerative diseases.|
|•||Eat both raw and cooked vegetables for their high fibre content and phytochemicals that protect against disease.|
Eating For Two
• Increase nutrients with fresh juices or non-dairy smoothies.
• Eat 30g of fibre daily, found in whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables.
• Choose a prenatal supplement with at least 600mcg folic acid.
• Eat high quality vegetable protein, for example quinoa, millet, chickpeas, beans and lentils.
• Eat more leafy green vegetables for calcium and essential vitamins and minerals.
• 1 apple
• 1 carrot
• 2 celery stalks
• 1 head of Romaine lettuce
• 1 cucumber
• 1 lemon
Juice all ingredients and serve immediately.
Nutri-Style offers a range of nutrition support services including dietary analysis and weight loss management.
6887 5220 | nutri-style.com